PDA

View Full Version : Red Discus varieties classifications history

poimaster
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:18 PM
I have recently started liking Solid Red coloured Discus. However in my research I can't get a clear idea about the history and options available so I thought I'd share what I have discovered and ask for your thoughts and advice.

My aim is to purchase a few good stock varieties of Discus for breeding. My aim is to eventually one day have a tank full of 30 baby discus for a display tank.

It seems that most of the solid red discus are from Pigeon Blood varieties - these discus therefore are likely to have peppering when they reach adult hood or in the offspring. It appears that this is a likely outcome if the Pigeon Blood is paired with any Discus with Dark lines. I gather that Pigeon Blood types are more of an Orange Red. Also it appears that Marlboro Red are descendents from Pigeon Blood

What is confusing me is San Merah - appears that the colour is more a deep maroon red. Also that San Merah is crossed from non-pigeon Blood stock.

Can anyone clarify? And are there other varieties I should be considering?

Thanks in advance

scott bowler
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:25 PM
yes it right san merah is from a brown base fish and a much nicer red

scott bowler
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:28 PM
as for others there is the RGD that isnt ment to be PB based but you need to buy it from some one that can get you the real thing hehe .

samir
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 02:12 PM
The pigeon reds are a bit hard to breed. The brown based should be easier. Decide whether you want pigeon or brown. Pick a fish which has a nice round shape, good colour and in very good health. The females are more red than the males so if you pick all the very red ones you may end up with all females.
At the end of the day they don't carry name tags, if they look nice, they are nice, if not, they are rubbish. For the brown based reds, no bars is more desirable,avoid any with striations. Some will have a blue rim on the dorsal and anal fins and others will be a complete red. Decide what you like, the name of the strain is meaningless.
Here's a page with links to some pictures of excellent quality fish, have a look at the reds. It should give you a good idea of what is good and what is plain bull. http://www.discusclubsg.com/events/events.html

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
I'd personally go San merah, Rose red, REAL RGD if it was me setting up a red tank, all are brown base. pigions i find a pain come breeding time, also as i keep all my fish in planted tanks the pigion based fish ALWAYS show some peppering.

poimaster
Sun Jul 22, 2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks Everyone,

Great advice - and a very useful link Samir.

Jeremy