PDA

View Full Version : This may be a dumb question

Erk
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:03 PM
IM curious how you guys go about feeding your discus? I have to slide my light fixture around, to slide the lid around, to open the lid to drop food in. It seems to me, my discus really dont care for this, and if I do anything that makes a noise, like when I close the lid, or anything, they take off all scared. Its been going on for some time now, and I was hoping they would stop it, but now Im wondering what else I can do about this? What do you guys do?

I also dont like the hinge on my lid, or the crossbar in the tank. I cant go without a lid, and I know its not recommended to keep discus in a tank without a lid, cause they could "jump" but I have two cats, so I dont wanna have to worry about them messing with things when Im not home.

Thanks for your suggestions :D

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 11:26 PM
i had a corner cut off my glass lids for the same reason that way i have a hole i can drop the food through.

samir
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 11:45 PM
imo if they are scared its either a water quality issue or internal parasites, if they are healthy and happy you should be able to touch them when they come up for food.

Erk
Fri Jul 20, 2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks ILLUSN, so far Ive been dropping food in from the back run at the spray bars, and the water pushes the food out to the front of the tank....seems ok so far I guess

if they are healthy and happy you should be able to touch them when they come up for food.

That would be great! ahaha... :lol: Sometimes then touch and bite at me if I hand feed, but I guess I never really tried to just touch them, but it seems like just the sound of the lid is too much sometimes...I was just kinda curious what you guys do.....At about what age can you touch them? that sounds odd :lol:

Thanks guys......I will do all my water tests right now :wink:

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 20, 2007, 01:11 AM
mine come and bite me everytime i clean the tank, they've done this from about 2" it was cute, now its just annoying. Dumb fish always trying to shove me around.

dntx5b9
Fri Jul 20, 2007, 03:13 AM
I have my light fixture behind the hinge of the lid. This way, I don't have to move the light fixture everytime I have to open the lid. The light is still near the center of the tank, so that's where I want the light anyways.

Erk
Fri Jul 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks ILLUSN....mine dont bother me when Im cleaning the tank...only during feeding time :?

Thanks dntx5b9 since I only use mainly one light bulb the whole day, I try to position the fixture above my glosso, which is in the front of the tank, so I have to deal with that hinge one way or the other? I guess I could leave it towards the back, and see how it goes....I guess I dont really understand how the reflectors work. I have to deal with the cross bar, and the hinge blocking my light, or dont these things really block that much light?

My test results are ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=10-20, phos=3, gh and kh are same as in my signature

Thanks again everyone