PDA

View Full Version : How many more discus

Dave76
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:15 AM
Hi all

Been keeping fish for a couple of years, and thought it was time to give Discus a try :D

I've got an 8x2x2 planted with trickle filter and full auto CO2 setup - tank params as follows
PH: 7.2->7.4 (morning / evening)
No ammonia or nitrites - nitrates less than 3
Temp : 27-29

Tank was cycled over a couple of months and currently houses
16 lemon tetras
22 rummy nose tetras
11 panda corys
3 bristlenose
6 6-8cm discus

Currently doing two 15-25% gravel vac & water changes a week.

Just wondering how many more Discus everyone thinks will be able to go in and be happy without having to up the water changes etc.

Thanks in advance

Dave :)

sunshinediscus
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:04 AM
Hi Dave,

You could safely double the number of discus you are keeping in the tank no probs. If your prepared to w/c a bit more often say every 2nd day 25 to 35% you could prob triple the discus.

Nice tank size and mix of fish.

Rod

www.lewisdiscus.com

jim
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 12:27 PM
Hi, show us some pictures of your tank :D

Dave76
Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:12 AM
Hi Rod & Jim

Thanks for the replies.

Re the water changes - extra w/c atm wouldn't be possible due to work hours - but maybe so in the near future tho - I like the thought of 18 or so Discus swimming around. :lol:

I've actually setup a gallery for my tanks - slowly putting them all online at http://www.davidfowler.net/fish

Regards

Dave

Trebs
Tue Oct 26, 2004, 05:31 AM
Could always look at automated w/c options...

Also remember you'll need to spend more time an energy keeping algae at bay the more discus you add. This has been my experience anyway. To keep a well balanced planted tank I would advise staying well under the 10 gal per discus rule regardless of w/c routine. With a tank that big you can afford to.

Annie
Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:10 PM
Hi Dave, welcome to DF!
Your tank sounds great, I look forward to hearing more about it.

Dave76
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 04:44 AM
Hi Trebs

I haven't had much problem with algae as yet (touch wood) only a bit of green algae on the glass which i scrub of before gravel vac.

Auto w/c is something I've been considering - but due to the location of the tank in the house it makes it very difficult. I currently gravel vac outside into a tub which then goes onto the garden - and refill from the sink with a hose - adding Prime as I go - no problems yet - aging water for 2-3 days the params are exactly the same as straight from the tap - and this way I can adjust to get the temp the same.

Thanks for the welcome Annie - another half dozen or so Discus and I think it will be set - then I can get started on building the new house to fit more tanks :D

Regards

Dave