PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole information

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 06:55 AM
This is a link to a very good article on Levamisole, it's treatment and effects, from the University of Florida.

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

samir
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:24 PM
I think everyone who uses "prazi" and "wormed" in the same sentence needs to be automatically redirected here. Excellent link Merrilyn, I've read most of the information in fragments, but this guy has put everything on one page. I hope people take the time to read it, pretty much covers everything.

Here's a link to the IFAS site. It has heaps of very useful information.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_Fish

scott bowler
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:33 PM
it is true it is a good read and we can learn a lot from things like this .thanks mezz

Erk
Wed Aug 01, 2007, 04:10 PM
That is a good read Merrilyn....answered a lot of my questions about treatment with Big L....I plan to dose the tank in the near future :)

flaggy
Wed Aug 01, 2007, 10:08 PM
Great article! Just be careful about the liquid bird worming syrup "add to tank" suggestion in there - if it contains sweet syrup, it can (will?) cause a bacterial bloom. (I had a very bad experience with this.)

TW
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 09:55 AM
Where would you get Mebendazole in Australia. Is it a prescription drug, or available over the counter or on-line?

Thanks

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 01:28 PM
you'll have to see a vet mate. it will cost you BIG!!!

TW
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 09:36 PM
you'll have to see a vet mate. it will cost you BIG!!! Oh, ok, that's for that. I guess I'll stick with the Big L. I've had no problem with it so far (fingers crossed).

fishgeek
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 07:54 AM
TW mebendazol is from the same family of drugs as levamisol, fenbendazol and flubendazol therefore they have similar actions, why specifically were you looking fro mebendazol

there was a couple of commercial preparations marketed in america, one a combination with something else, reported to be toxic to goldfish i beleive, the other i think a simple proprietary aquarium formulation

andrew

TW
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info
why specifically were you looking fro mebendazol Only because of some of the possible negative traits that some hobbyist mentioned in another thread.

I've just placed a fresh order for some Big L.

dandaman352
Sun Mar 09, 2008, 06:47 PM
Do they sell Levamisol over the counter, in places like Duane Reade (stores that sell everything and have a pharmacy in them also)

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 09, 2008, 10:23 PM
you can get it over the counter from any store that sells products for farm stock.

dandaman352
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 07:01 AM
lol. Guess i'm screwed if they get worms (good old new york city, no farms here)

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
try here mate, they have an office in the US http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.php?productid=16807&cat=394&page=1

dandaman352
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 07:18 PM
thank you.

Ray
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:47 AM
Just to clarify....

In the other thread on levamisole the dosage was 1m per 7lts and leave for 3 days. In this article it is 2ml per 1 lt and leave for 24 hours. Is the 2ml / 1 litre the preferred dosage now?
Many thanks

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 04:57 AM
It all depends on the strength of the product.

The one we recommend, Sykes Big L Pig and Poultry wormer lists the active ingredients on the bottle, and we have had two fish vets confirm the dose at that strength to be 1 ml per 7 litres of tank water.

fishgeek
Wed Jul 09, 2008, 08:09 PM
Just to clarify....

In the other thread on levamisole the dosage was 1m per 7lts and leave for 3 days. In this article it is 2ml per 1 lt and leave for 24 hours. Is the 2ml / 1 litre the preferred dosage now?
Many thanks

this article suggests 2 mg not 2 ml
this is my preferred notation/terminology as it stops incorrect dosing occurring because of strength/concentration of solution being used

unfortunately mistakes can still occur because of misunderstanding millilitre's and milligrams

merrilyn has linked a 14 mg/ml solution hence 1 ml = 14mgs and if used in 7 litres is 2mgs/litre

RDavies
Sat Dec 19, 2009, 09:35 PM
I see from the link Merrelyn posted that it is not harmfull to shrimp, thats god for me. How about snails, can anyone confirm it will kill my cone and apple snails

goodoo
Fri Feb 04, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hey Guys. I use Avitrol + each tab - 20mg LEVAMISOLE HYDROCHORIDE equivalent to 16.96 LEVAMISOLE base. 4mg PRAZIQUANTEL.

any one use this stuff.
I think its ok?

Old Dave
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 02:06 AM
I bought some Vetsense Kilverm from a local produce store for $22/500mL.
Same Active constituent & strength as Big L, but $10 cheaper than where I saw Big L yesterday.

It is tinted Turquoise so it must be good for Discus!
Anyone used it?

thanks

Dave

PS:Goodoo,
I haven't seen too many good reports on Avitrol.
Something about another ingredient?
How are your fish?

vitara1
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:39 AM
Just want to clarify how to use Levamisole. Dose rate is 1ml per 7 litres.

What then? Leave for 3 days and do a water change? What % for the water change.

Do you then need to dose again or is that it, just a one-off?

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 06:28 AM
WAIT 24-48 HOURS THE 30-50% WATERCHAGE, REPEAT EVERY 2-3 WEEKS FOR 2-3 TREATMENTS.

Nev
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 12:27 PM
I bought some Vetsense Kilverm from a local produce store for $22/500mL.
Same Active constituent & strength as Big L, but $10 cheaper than where I saw Big L yesterday.........

Stick with big L we know its safe and it works!
Btw l bought the cattle version of big L (twice the strength so use half as much) for $25.

Old Dave
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks all,

I have used the Kilverm several times now, and have no problems with it.
No obvious difference to using Big L, except in the pocket.

Old Dave Jr was able to buy Big L in Newcastle for <$22, but for $30 per bottle in Wollongong I am going to stick with the Kilverm. :thumb

jmo, Old Dave

krislewis3
Sat Sep 08, 2012, 03:46 PM
This is a link to a very good article on Levamisole, it's treatment and effects, from the University of Florida.

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

I have a discus that needs to be medicated for round worms. I've ordered prohibit. I know the correct dosage, however, I'm not sure how many times I should treat. Is it just one time, then wc?

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 09, 2012, 09:57 AM
treat once then repeat in 2-3 weeks, id do it a 3rd time 2-3 weeks after the 2nd treatment just to be sure you've got them all.

krislewis3
Sun Sep 09, 2012, 11:31 AM
treat once then repeat in 2-3 weeks, id do it a 3rd time 2-3 weeks after the 2nd treatment just to be sure you've got them all.

Thank you for that info......can you tell me what to look for after treating? How will I know if the treatment is successful?

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
20-40min after treatment the fish should start to pass dead worms (if they have round worms).

other then that you wouldn't know

krislewis3
Sun Sep 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
20-40min after treatment the fish should start to pass dead worms (if they have round worms).

other then that you wouldn't know

Sooo, if I don't see the fish pass any worms, is there any reason to retreat in 2 weeks?

ILLUSN
Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:23 AM
it wont hurt

krislewis3
Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:28 AM
it wont hurt

If after the lavamocele treatment,the fish dosent pass any worms, does it indicate that she dosent have worms?

krislewis3
Tue Sep 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
I'm still waiting for some response from my discus after lavamocele treatment. Can anyone tell me what to expect? It's been3 days since I treated, and I can't say I've noticed the fish passing anything, however, he hasn't eaten in several weeks either. He's still hiding, and acting abnormal!! Any advise or suggestions on what to expect, would be appreciated! Thank you, Kris

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 12, 2012, 12:08 AM
your fish most likely does not have round worms.
it could still have tape worms or other internal paracites

krislewis3
Wed Sep 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
your fish most likely does not have round worms.
it could still have tape worms or other internal paracites

I treated with metro and prazi for 10 days prior to the lavamocele. I noticed this morning that she is now passing white, slimy, stringy tissue!! Do you think this indicates that the treatment is working, or that I need to retreat?? Thanks for helping....Kris

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 12, 2012, 11:54 PM
its a good sign that she's passing something.
My general rule is if you start treating finish treating.

give her 2 weeks and treat again.

if you can get some live brine shrimp feed her that its not super nutritious but it wont clog her up and they should get her interested in food.

joller
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 06:40 AM
i was told that levamisole doesnt kill the nematodes but just knocks them out so that they can be passed through the fishes system, then the fish needs to be removed from the treatment tank. is this true?

newdiscusfanatics
Wed Jul 03, 2013, 07:36 AM
Hi any one used VETSENSE KILVERM ?
Active onstituent 14g/l LEVAMISOLE (equivalent to 16.5 g/l LEVAMISOLE HYDROCHLORIDE)

I read in this article, http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1 That dose should be 2ppm and to work out the dose you times 2.36 X (Fish tank litres) = ml to pt in.
So at 16.5 g/l it would be 227 litres divided by 16.5 = 13.75 ml

Is this formula right the way I have worked it out?

I have seen a dose rate on here of 1ml per 7 litres of Levamisole, is that for 16.5 g/l of levamisole hcl?

I just want to get the dose right and not let those nasty nematodes get immuned.

Kind regards
H

newdiscusfanatics
Wed Jul 03, 2013, 07:38 AM
Sorry the formula is (That dose should be 2ppm and to work out the dose you times 2.36 mg/l X (Fish tank litres) = ml to pt in)