PDA

View Full Version : Cycling?

Aurora
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 02:54 AM
How do you know when cycling is finished?

I have been cycling my tank for 3 weeks now. I have been adding ammonia everyday. The ammonia level is generally always about 3 mg/L. Nitrite has been at least 5 ppm (high as my test kit goes) for about a week. I added some of the bacteria in a bottle at the start, and I got some old filter media from Ladyred about a week and a half ago (thanks Ladyred :wink:)
How are you meant to know when its done? If you are adding ammonia everyday then wouldnt there always be a certain level of ammonia and nitrite in the water? So they would never reach zero.

Thanks

Dave

parasite
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:58 AM
hi Aurora, you dont have to add ammonia in everyday, just add it in when it becomes lower than 3-5 ppm , when ur nitrite has peaked only add half of what u added to have 3-5ppm ammonia. ur filter should be cycled when it can convert ammonia-->nitrite-->nitrate within a 24hour period. then u can do a water change to bring ur nitrates down. In the DIY section of this forum have a read of the fishless cycling article it has the info required.

ctvu
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 12:54 PM
Hi Aurora

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1037
That is how I got this done.
Hope this help
Good Luck

flukes
Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:04 AM
For some reason with a fishless cycle most find that they have trouble with the nitrite peak. Normally this can be fixed, if you dont see much happening do a 50% water change, take your readings and add the ammonia again.

Only do this if nothing has happened for a couple of days other wise the cycle could take longer.

Aurora
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks guys.

I do have nitrite, in fact last night I actually got the big drop. Nitrite went from the peak at ~3.3 mg/L to 0.3 mg/L, so hopefully wont be too long now :)