PDA

View Full Version : trouble designing a sump

jagz
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
im going to use a sump on my 6x2x2 but im have trouble designing it i would like to build my own but dont know how compartments i need could anyone help me with design ideas please and what media whould i need and in what order thanks in advance

jagz
Tue Jul 17, 2007, 03:15 PM
right guys this is what i have come up with can anyone tell me if this is correct of am i barking up the wrong tree. the round bits are bio balls the light grey part is fine filter media/filter floss and the dark blue part are more course media mats thanks guys i would be grateful for any input.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x10/ricquay/Sump.jpg

Tunnel Rat
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 08:59 AM
Hi Jagz

The only real problem I can see with that design is the bio-balls are under water that's no good.You will need to lower the first divider after the bio-ball chamber to lower the water level.
You will be using a drip tray above the bio-balls wont you.
my currant sump is my bio-ball matrix style sump.

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Snaper/Engineroom2314.jpg

I am designing a new sump myself but keep changing my mine this is the last drawing I did but have changed it again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Snaper/4x2x2Sump-1.jpg

I have no drawing yet but the new idea is where you see the first inlet it will have two 100 micron filter bags the long ones then over the bio-balls via a drip tray.Then two chambers of jap matting with filter wool sheeting on top.Then two more chambers the first will have a small pump 600L/H with a very fine filter on it 20-50 microns.Which will then go to two matrix bio reactors with around 20L of pond matrix in them this way they will stay very clean & return to the last chamber.The last chamber will have the heaters and the outlet hole in it for a inline pump.

DIY
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
Depending on what you want, it doesn't need to be overly complicated especially if the main function is to provide filtration. As Tunnel Rat mentioned it's best to have a bio tower out of the water to ge the benefit of the wet/dry for bacteria.

here are some pics of the sump I ran on my old 4ft tank showing a simple simple shower head and very simple sump, great to hide the heaters.

And also the sump on my current 6x2x2 planted tank, it's great for hiding probes, heaters, pump for co2 reactor etc. The cat loves checking it out when I open the cabinet of course :roll:

jagz
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 03:26 PM
thank you guys for both lots of pics and idea has helped alot the only thing is what do you mean by drip tray do you mean just glass with lots of holes in or not

Tunnel Rat
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 05:51 PM
thank you guys for both lots of pics and idea has helped alot the only thing is what do you mean by drip tray do you mean just glass with lots of holes in or not

In your first pic if you do not run a drip tray only the front half of your chamber will be working as the water will not flow over the rest of it.
A drip tray is a piece of acrylic with lots of holes.It evens out the water flow over the hole chamber.

Rat

jagz
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 10:29 PM
ok yes it will have two drip trays on each of the 2 chambers what do you call egg crate any chance of a discription or even a photo because we dont seem to use that over here i dont think. also u told me to lower the over flow in the second chamber because the bio balls was covered in water does any of these balls have to be under water or none of them thank you for all your help

DIY
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
The bio balls work best out of water where there is more oxygen for the bacteria, but they will still work under water just like a canister filter.

what we call egg crate is basically manufactured as a light diffuser, typically in office blocks with flouro lighting. below is a pic of a bio tower I made with egg crate siliconed on the bottom, and a large sheet in the background.

jagz
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
ok thank you mate i think i know what i need to know