PDA

View Full Version : How much NH3 is too much??

Professor_J
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hello all!

Am starting to try to cycle my tank without fishies... Added conditioned water to the tank (used prime). Then seeded with bacteria starter, and a few hours later added some ammonia to bring it to ~5ppm according to the math.

Tested for ammonia to see how much, and got 8ppm (max on chart) but didn't worry much (have since learned that should wait a couple days before testing for NH3 as prime and the like stuff up the reagents in most test kits).

It has now been 4 days, have still seen no nitrite or nitrate and testing the tank water (diluted with distilled water) for ammonia I'm finding it to be about 25ppm!!! :shock: :shock:

I know I haven't added more, and I know that initially I added only about 7mL of 28 wt% NH3 (density 0.90 g/mL) which works out to 1760 mg NH3 in a 340L (90 gal) tank or 5.1 ppm.

Where is the extra ammonia coming from?!? and more importantly, will my bugs be ok if I keep adding starter, or is there too much in there for them to survive? Should I change some (most) of the water for them too, or should I just leave them be and let them go nuts in the bacterial all you can eat buffet?

Oh and the filter is a Fluval 405 with just the supports for the bacteria in it and the sponges for mechanical filtration in it right now - no bags of carbon.

Any ideas?

fishgeek
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 10:26 PM
high levels of ammonia are actuall inhibitory to the growth of nitrobacter species(i dont know what we are calling them at the moment) the suggest 5ppm is because this in theory is the highest levels acceptable without inhibiting growth/replicatio of the bacteria

if your test readings are accurate then i would try and water change to reduce you ammonia levels

andrew

Professor_J
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 11:40 PM
Ok, thanks.

I'll head over to the lab to test my test kit and if it is working then change a bunch of the water in the tank appropriately.

How long does Prime really hang out in the tank causing problems for the test kits? They say it dissipates in a day, but is that only in established aquariums? That could be the problem too - if prime doesn't actually dissipate as quickly as they say. Just like you don't know it messes up your test unless you look into their FAQ or have someone tell you about that... should probably put a notice on the bottle.

Thanks though :)