PDA

View Full Version : German Blue Ram with white stuff on her eye

Erk
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 03:22 PM
I noticed last night my female german blue ram has this white cloudy stuff on its one eye, and she seems to flick against the substrate like she is trying to itch it....also, my emerald green corydora seemed to be flicking sideways against the substrate last night too :shock: It looked really bad, but I was hoping maybe he got bit by a ram....they are a lil mean to the cory. So maybe the cory was irritated from fighting, and was trying to scratch himself.

I can try tonight to get a pic of the ram....she is constantly getting chased by the male, so maybe its just from fighting too?

Are there any suggestions as far as my female german goes? If this is not in the best section, can admin move it?

Thanks very much, as always!

fishgeek
Fri Jul 20, 2007, 07:50 PM
flicking -> check water parameters and external parasites as the 2 most common reasons

white cloudy stuff -> columnaris or sprolegenia as the two most commonluy described , one bacterial other fungal both are opportunistic and take advantage of poor water quality reducing epidermal defences or open wounds on fish

so check water... to see if there is a simpe answer
change water to improve things that cant easily be measured

reduce stress, seperate fish, i find it best to remove aggressor as he/she is less stressed and willtake the situation best
almst any propreitary remedy will then cure either of the two common infections. i tend to swab material off and apply treatment neat ad directly onto area

andrew

Erk
Fri Jul 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks very much andrew I have already treated the tank with praziPRO with the follow up treatment a week later. The discus seem to be getting much better

I checked my water parameters last night

and are as follows:

ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=10-20, phos=3, gh and kh are same as in my signature

The meds I have are PraziPRO, Metronidazole Tablets, Sykes Big L Pig and Poultry, flubenol 15%, and Primafix and Melafix

I will do a water change right now anyways...I havent looked for her yet since ive been home, she may have already passed on. If not, i will move her to another tank, and try to treat with something

Thanks again very much
Eric

Erk
Sat Jul 21, 2007, 04:23 PM
Flicking appears to have stopped for a good bit now for the cory, but the females heart has stopped as well :(

Down to one male and no more quarantine tank :(

Thanks much for your help tho