PDA

View Full Version : hi im new to this forum with a few q`s

jagz
Sun Jul 15, 2007, 07:51 PM
hi all im just about to start keeping discus i have done quite a bit of research but today i went to my local aquatics and asked about filteration and i was quite suprised at what he told me i was going to run a sump or a couple of external filter for my 6x2x2 but he told me not to go down that path and to just use 3 2ft undergravel filters with 6 uplifts and a powerful pump now im stuck on wht to do should i go down the path i was going to or should i take his advice he has discus in his shop and he is only using ug filters just a bit of advice on this problem would be appreciated thank you

sponge2
Sun Jul 15, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hi good luck on you soon discus keeping. All my tank are run on bubble filters in my breed tanks and externals on my grow on tank and adult tanks.

scott bowler
Sun Jul 15, 2007, 10:14 PM
jagz welcome to the forum.i wouldnt use undergravel filters ,what you were going to do was a much better way to go.The sump and canister filters are better .The UG will in time give you problems it is hard to keep the water quality that you need for discus with them. good luck mate hope it all goes well keep us posted scott

jagz
Sun Jul 15, 2007, 10:39 PM
thanks guys for you help if i was to go down the road of sump and external filters what media would i be best putting in each, this has probably been asked so many times before so sorry for that and a link to the answer would do me fine thank you guys

sponge2
Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:39 PM
In my sumps i used to use filter med. foam in a sump strainer bag ( this will save you loads of time when cleaning out), bio balls and activated carbon in a bag in centre, so i could get to it if i wanted treatments.
Same in externals but with ceramics as well..

Hope this helps (we all started some were. I wish i had more info when i started) good luck from the south. Any more questions............

Bill T.
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 04:46 AM
I use two e-heim canister filters, one each end, on a 6ft tank.
On one end I run an external heater, and a UV on the other one.

Canisters are easy to clean and service & I hhave had absolutely no problems with this setup.

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 18, 2007, 05:58 AM
I'm definately with Bill on this one. Good quality cannister filters are the way to go on big tanks. I haven't used undergravel filters for around 20 years, although they were very popular back then.

The other essential piece of equipment I'd recommend on a discus tank is a well maintained UV filter to keep the bacteria and parasite levels low.

jagz
Thu Jul 19, 2007, 03:18 PM
thanks guys for all your input i have now decided to go down the route of a sump for filteration.
The other essential piece of equipment I'd recommend on a discus tank is a well maintained UV filter to keep the bacteria and parasite levels low could i put the inlet and outlet pipes off the uv filter straight into the sump or is it better to put them in the aquarium or doesnt it matter

DIY
Fri Jul 20, 2007, 12:41 AM
thanks guys for all your input i have now decided to go down the route of a sump for filteration.
The other essential piece of equipment I'd recommend on a discus tank is a well maintained UV filter to keep the bacteria and parasite levels low could i put the inlet and outlet pipes off the uv filter straight into the sump or is it better to put them in the aquarium or doesnt it matter

That's exactly how I run the UV on my 6x2x2 in & out to my sump, keeps everything neat & hidden.