PDA

View Full Version : Soft water....

GrkBoy
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 07:03 AM
Hey guys, is water with readings of Kh - 3, Gh - 5 and a p.h of about 7,2-7,5 soft enough and good enough for a discus display tank??

I achieve this by mixing 50% ro water, and 50% tap water...
Should I also be adding trace elements after mixing the 2??

All help is greatly appreciated.

GrkBoy
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 10:16 AM
Anyone???

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 10:27 AM
sounds fine for a discus tank. you can add trace elements if you like it wont do any harm, i personally wouldn't bother

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
Sounds good to me. Soft and around neutral is ideal for discus.

Just keep a close eye on your pH. You may find it will drop after a few days with a KH that low.

GrkBoy
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, well today i took a reading of the same water hich has now aged for a day in my holding barell, and my p.h has gone right up to 7,8 -8! Is this normal??

My tropic marine p.h test always showed my tank readings to be at 6,8 but today I used a friends electronic p.h meter and it showed that my tank's p.h was 5,6!! Is this possible? Would it contribute to my discus being always shy?? They come out and eat like pigs, but when the lights come on the always hide!

fishgeek
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
when was the pH meter last calibrated, mine is way off and can read between 4 and 8 in the same water as i am not looking after it at present!

they should be calibrated fortnightly i believe

andrew

GrkBoy
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 04:40 PM
My friend owns a pet store and is a well known 'breeder' here in Greece.... So I quite possitive that his p.h meter was spot on.

All this water testing just baffles me!