PDA

View Full Version : Food for Apistos

TW
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:55 PM
I have a pair of apistos in my discus tank & recently I made up a batch of Lady Red's beef heart recipe. The apistos love it & I hope it is okay for them - not much I can do to prevent them from eating it, while they remain in that tank.

'Cause they love it so much, I'm wondering if it would be okay to feed this to my other apisto tank? The full list of ingredients is in a sticky in the discus forum, but basically it is a mixture of beef heart, red & green prawns, salmon, white ocean fish, spirulina, cooked carrot, peas all processed very finely.

Would this be okay for the apistos?

fishgeek
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 02:43 PM
apistos generally eat small water borne crustacean in thier natural habitats and some algae, i assume ingested whilst targeting food in substrtae/leaf littr type situations

for this reason only i would suggest some of the exoskeleton component prehaps increase the non solube fibre in apsito's diet
and maybe more minced prawn shell is i order

or just do as mum always said , 'everything in moderation'

Th0mas
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 02:31 AM
Sounds alright, as Andrew suggested - feed in moderation.

I generally feed a variety of stuffs to give them a good mix. This includes live BBS, quality pellets and frozen bloodworm. They seems to prefer the bloodworm and BBS, so I normally feed the pellets first and let them finish before I toss in the rest.