PDA

View Full Version : New tank and Co2

GrkBoy
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 05:09 PM
Well guys, in about 2 months I am getting my new 400l tank, I am planning on going all out, ferts, Co2 etc as it will be heavilly planted.

My question is this, as I am planning on using Co2, what effect will it have on the p.h of my water. At the momment I use r/o water for my tank, and after adding my trace elements and black water, I get a p.h of 6,6 Gh of 3-4, and Kh of 2. Will the low Kh cause a p.h crash?? I am planning on using seras Co2 set that comes with a p.h controler... anyone have any experience in the sera Co2 range?? Wil the controler maintain my p.h at whatever level I set it to? What changes will I have to make to my water??

An addvice is GREATLY appreciated!

ILLUSN
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 11:45 PM
With a low kh you will have ph instability, try adding some crushed coral to your filter (works when i use rainwater kh 0-1) or make sure you have a ph computer

GrkBoy
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 06:13 AM
I am planning on using a p.h controller... I believe that it adds Co2 accordingly so as to maintain whatever p.h you set it at... Not too sure if it will prevent a p.h crash or not.

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 07:47 AM
If the ph starts to drop the computer wont inject co2 till it sises back to your preset limit. if you are worried abb bout 1 tablespoon of crushed coral/100L to your filter and this will buffer the water.

Bald_noggin
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 10:05 AM
Definetly bring your kh up as ILLUSN says. A kh of 4 is a good point.

A pH controller is good for bringing down pH but at a low kh too much wastes is the system can result in a pH crash with disastrous results.

I have a seramic pH controller. I've only had it for about 2-3 months now so I can't really comment on it too much other that it does its job. Mine is set for 6.8. The co2 is activated when the meter reads 6.82 then switches off at 6.74. Each step in the readings is .04 It's a bit of a mood point going to .01 pH units because the controller is realy only acurate for .1 of a pH unit. That's about I can tell you about this one!

Cheers,
Col.