PDA

View Full Version : Mega Tank Journal

Proteus
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 05:26 AM
I am just in the process of setting up a few tanks, as well as having just set up a couple of others, one of which is only a temporary set up until I get the main tanks fully operational. Going from a 2 bedroom unit, to a 3 bedroom townhouse and now finally in a 4 bedroom house on a solid slab of concrete and timber floorboards.... means fun all round (moving the tanks is not fun though).

Tank 1:

6 x 2.5 x 2.5ft (180 x 75 x 75cm) with weir

Filtration - 3ft Matrix style sump + Aqua One CF2400 Canister (biological filtration only, no sponge or foam used in the filter)

High quality walnut stained 3 door cabinet 600mm high

Pondmaster 36w UVC

2 x Jager 300w Heaters

Lighting, quad T5 unit (4 x 5ft tubes, staggered)

Computer controlled by an Aquatronica management system (pH, Redox, temp, Conductivity, water level) (Sera pH computer and Aqua Medic Redox computer also installed awaiting reloaction to another tank once set up).

Substrate, high grade pool filter sand (inert)

This tank is set up and running currently, occupants 1 x Giant Gourami, 12 x Clown Loaches, Several Peppermint breeding pairs.

Aquascape is minimal - with a Giant Gourami nothing is ever in the same place for more than a few hours, if he doesnt like something, like say a 5kg piece of wood, he will move it to where it suits him better, and heaven help getting in his way from watching TV... that spells trouble, or more like water on the floor.

Tank 2:

5 x 2.5 x 2.25ft (150 x 75 x 68cm) no weir, 3 holes drilled in back panel (2 x out, 1 x return)

High quality walnut stained 3 door cabinet 600mm high

Filtration - 2ft Matrix style sump + 2 x Aqua One CF1200 Canisters + Fluval 4+ Internal Filter

Pondmaster 11w UVC (to be installed)

2 x Jager 300w Heaters

Lighting, Triple 150w Metal Halide with moonlight

Sera pH computer for monitoring pH with the intent to add a 4.5kg or 6.8kg C02 bottle with the Sera regulator I already have with direct injection into the return line.

Background - Universal Rocks "The Crevice" (12ft sheet was split between 2 tanks)

Substrate, approx 50kgs of Dupla Ground (have 20kgs more to add when proper set up occurs)

This tank is currently holed up in the garage and has been set up temporarily for the purpose of keeping some feature pieces of wood I have submerged, as well as giving 40+ 4-6cm Peppermint Juvies a chance to do some growing (along with a few yo-yo loaches and an SAE that I have had for years).

There have been a whole lot of plants floating around in this tank and some planted however at some point in time this tank will be stripped down (leaving the substrate only) and re-set up as a planted display tank.

Tank 3:

5 x 2.5 x 2ft (150 x 75 x 60cm) with weir

High quality walnut stained 3 door cabinet 900mm high

Filtration - 2.5ft Matrix style sump

Equipment to be decided

This tank is empty awaiting plans to be finalised as to what it will hold (short list down to either a planted tank using Eco-Complete or a Marine/Reef tank and use the 600+ watts of lighting in a 5ft Aqua One unit that I have spare.

Tank 4:

7 x 3 x ?ft (210 x 90 x ?cm) weir or holes undecided

High quality re-inforced walnut stained 3 door cabinet 900mm high

Only the cabinet has been made for this, all other plans are pending (the cabinet being 900mm high almost needs its own postcode... the footprint is almost 3.5ft)

Tank 5:

7 x 2.5 x 2.25ft (210 x 75 x 68cm) no weir, 3 holes drilled in back panel (2 x out, 1 x return)

High quality walnut stained 3 door cabinet 750mm high

2 x 8ft high hangmen (walnut stained timber) which will attach to the back of the cabinet and suspend the Giesemann T5HO unit

Filtration - 3ft Matrix style sump

Fluidised Bed Filter (1 or 2 - running Seachem Phosguard and/or De*Nitrate)

AquaClear 110 (500) on side of sump with Seachem Purigen (approx 2L)

2 x Pondmaster 36w UVC on a closed loop running off the sump

Background - Universal Rocks "The Crevice" (12ft sheet was split between 2 tanks)

Lighting, Quad 80w Giesemann Reflexx (new model) T5HO unit (with electronic ballasts and digital capacitors) (have 2 different light spectrums in the tubes chosen)

Either the Sera pH & Aqua Medic Redox computer will be installed on this tank or an additional Aquatronica control system will be added down the track.

Substrate, high grade pool filter sand (inert)

4-5 Large wood features with anubias will make up the majority of the plants and features due to the proposed occupants.

This tank will be set up over the new few weeks (tank arrived last night, thanks to Mattzilla for helping get it inside)

This tank will be home to my colony of Geophagus and Bala Sharks as well as my 1 very large and 2 juvenile plecos.

Depending on how much mess the eartheaters make I would like to get a curtain of plants growing along the back wall to make the background look even more natural hence why I have got a light unit such as the Giesemann.

Photos will be added later, as well as advise and ideas sought for some of the tanks that dont have plans set in concrete yet.

Tunnel Rat
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 01:00 PM
This is going to be good :mrgreen: I will be keeping my eye on this thread Rohan so plenty of pics :thumb

What's Wayne going to do when you take he's main display home Geophagus colony and Bala Sharks :lol:

Where are you getting the high grade pool filter sand (inert) from ?

Rat

Xtreme
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 08:41 AM
What's Wayne going to do when you take he's main display home Geophagus colony and Bala Sharks :lol:

Rat

Rebecca is going to be doing some aquascaping :P

Proteus
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 08:57 AM
Pics will be added later this evening

samir
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 09:02 AM
Rebecca is going to be doing some aquascaping :P

Great ! When will we see some high resolution nokia pics ? :colour

Xtreme
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 09:03 AM
Nokia PFFFFFT!

Sony is all there is :P :)

Proteus
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 10:24 AM
Sony dont know how to make a real phone.... :P (TV's Audio and Cameras yes, but phones... pfffffffffffft)

Hello Moto.... must say the new Nokia is the bees knees of phones at the moment... 5 megapixel camera, GPS, etc etc etc...

Oh given the display tank is 3ft deep I guess that means a wet t-shirt showing :shock:

Robdog
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 12:41 AM
I'm there!!!

Th0mas
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 12:50 AM
Oh given the display tank is 3ft deep I guess that means a wet t-shirt showing :shock:

OMG - my son can swim in that......

ellwa
Sun Oct 14, 2007, 05:30 AM
updates...