PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma hongsloi

Th0mas
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:08 AM
Following flaggy's footstep, here's a few good news to share.....

I've tried a pair, which was a delight. So I've taken in a second in the following week and they're equally great :lol:

Both pairs settled in and spawn within a week.

Here's a few shots of what they look like.

Th0mas
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
And the second pair, spawned last Friday and hatching start last night (just managed to catch them - hopefully the photos are good enough).

The male in this pair does not have as much red on him, but the female does have a little bit of red patch on her belly.

Th0mas
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:13 AM
And a close up on the (remaining) eggs, note some has tail sticking out already.

flaggy
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
hey Thomas,

I just noticed that the same pair has already hatched their second batch of wrigglers. The parents are in the same tank with the first batch of fries.

Here is a blurry pic - you have to trust me that the dark spots are not bits of poop but are wrigglers.

http://flaggy.wemmit.net/hongsloisecond.jpg

Th0mas
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:41 PM
Mate,

You better quickly pull the first batch out before mum start to chase/eat them or they'll snack on the newly hatched.

Believe me, I've seen this with my own eye on the baenschi.

fishgeek
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 03:37 PM
use a fish trap , bottle with neck cut and reversed, bit like a crab pot

put some fry food in there and see it the young go in
saves chasing them with a net and upsetting everyone else

watch for small water volume and lack of oygen if large fish go in and stay for any time

andrew

TW
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 10:43 PM
congratulations on the fry.

I bought a pair of these fish about 2 weeks ago. The female definitely looks female & I can tell the male certainly thinks she is, but she a dirty brownish pink, instead of a dirty brownish yellow.

Have you seen that before? I hope she is female.

Th0mas
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 11:24 PM
I've found siphon them out with a large hose is more effective, just need to becareful of the water level as you siphon.

Once you got a container full of water with some larger fry, then net them out from that container and return the water back into the breeding tank. Keep repeating until you're certain all fry are out (sometime takes more than a day to pull them all out).

Th0mas
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
I bought a pair of these fish about 2 weeks ago. The female definitely looks female & I can tell the male certainly thinks she is, but she a dirty brownish pink, instead of a dirty brownish yellow.

Have you seen that before? I hope she is female.

Do you have a picture of them? Post them up if you need to be certain. It is difficult to tell by writing but from what you describe it seems to be a female.

Was the female picked out by the LFS or yourself?

TW
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 11:34 PM
Hi Thomas,

They are german imports, only newly arrived in LFS. So new, each fish was still inside it's individual jar (with holes) & the jar was in the tank in LFS. So the female was in her own labelled jar and the male was in his own labelled jar. Even though they only just arrived, they were the last of the imports to choose from, other than an Elizabeth Super Red (I know I have that name wrong - but I think you have one Thomas, so you'll know what I mean).

Therefore, I didn't really choose between fish - just took the only hongsloi they had.

If it makes a difference, they were labelled as being hongsloi form 2.

I am a poor photographer, but I'll post a pic of her when I can.

She is not responding to male's flirting (mainly runs away) but he flashes
& twists & turns & shakes his body at her, when she is near.

Th0mas
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 01:02 AM
Okay - knowing where they come from does help. Yes, there aren't any to choose from that place, only a pair was brought in.

That LFS were selling them as breed-able pairs, but from my believe most of them are advanced juveniles (not quite ready for breeding yet).

The hongsloi shown above (as well as flaggy's) are from another LFS, which are direct German imports (not via some other places). I did get a look at them, but given they were in bottles (yes, convenience but a bit cruel to the fish) the fish didn't show any great colour.

From the description of their behavior, it does sounds like it is a pair. But a picture tells a thousand word. To take good pics, you need a stable hand (or have a stand to rest the camera). As the tank is not as bright as the camera need - so the shutter is open longer and become prone to jitter.

I had the opportunity of taking the "better" pair of the elizabethae, and see how they'll grow into (they are definitely sub-adult as the male is at least 1.5cm smaller than others at home). Since they were labeled as "Super-Red", but has less red than mine - so it is a trial to see how "Super" it can become. BTW - these "Super-Red" elizabethae were much cheaper than my "Red" elizabethae, so that makes you wonder......

Bubbles
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 01:18 AM
Awsome looking male in top picture ThOmas, I love his red cheeks, you are doing great with the breeding side of things.
We finally have Tefe fry - Yippe!!!! & the other Tefe pair have spawned on the outside of their pot, will post some pics over the next few days ThOmas, we finally got our 6 tanks up & running in our cabinet & all is looking ggod.
Cheers,
Bubbles

Th0mas
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 01:10 PM
Awsome looking male in top picture ThOmas, I love his red cheeks, you are doing great with the breeding side of things.
We finally have Tefe fry - Yippe!!!! & the other Tefe pair have spawned on the outside of their pot, will post some pics over the next few days ThOmas, we finally got our 6 tanks up & running in our cabinet & all is looking ggod.
Cheers,
Bubbles

Hi Bubble,

He's a nice one indeed. The other is a bit younger and I hope he'll start to develop that red cheek soon (a faint sign is visible when look closely).

Congratulation on your success with the Tefe!! You just leave them with their parent for a month before removing as the parent will take care of them until around 4 weeks and that's when they'll start to spawn again (and chases the first batch). Just watch out on the male as he might be harassed badly or he could be a bad father and snack on the fry.

I've taken another shot of that male - hopefully it's clearer than the first. Also another photo taken today showing all eggs have hatched in the second female's cave.

Thomas.

Th0mas
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 02:17 AM
Some update of the two pairs.

Here's the first pair with the more red male.

Th0mas
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 02:19 AM
And shots of the second pair.

The fry's first day out yesterday.