PDA

View Full Version : recycling tank water through r/o unit

Ness
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 10:57 AM
thinking of trying to recycle my tank water by filtering all the nasties out and pumping it through a r/o unit?
has anyone tried this? is it worth doing or a waste of time and effort?

goldenpigeon
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 12:01 PM
it is a good idea, and would probably work... the only problem is its probably more hassle than its worth. used tank water would clog your r./o cartridges quickly unless you put the water through a prefilter process before going into the r/o.

worth a try i guess :)

Ness
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 12:24 PM
was thinkin of workin down through a series of filters down to a 0.5 micron filter before goin through the r/o.

scott bowler
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 12:31 PM
it sounds like a good idea ,but you will loss about 1/2 if not more of the water in waste .it would also take about a day to get about 200lts at the most .but i ike the thinking need to keep working on things like that

Ben
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 12:39 PM
might find it will not get rid of all the nitrates aswell.....?

Ness
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 12:45 PM
what about pumping the water out into a dam and then recycle by this means?

apistodiscus
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 02:15 PM
IMO, not worth it since the minimum pressure required for most RO units is three bar. And you will only get about 1/4 of the water you pump in returned as RO water. You would have to pre-filter your aquarium water first anyway or you will ruin the RO membrane. I appreciate that water is probably quite expensive in Australia (it's free in Ireland and at the moment we are getting plenty of it from the heavens. Another soft day :D ) but even at that I don't think it's worth your while