PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating

TW
Sun Jul 08, 2007, 02:04 PM
Hi, I'm not sure if one of my discus is sick or not.

The discus are new to my well established tank & I am partway through a precautionary worm treatment. The treatment I'm following is Week 1: Big L, Weeks 2 & 3: prazzi, Week 4: Big L

I am in day 4 of week 3. Initially all seemed to be going well, even though the only food they would take was blood worm. To try & correct that, I made up a batch of beef heart mix (from one of the stickys) and withdrew the blood worm. At 1st, only one took the beef heart - but now all take it, except for the one I'm concerned about. He has not tried it and has taken to mainly hanging around at the back of the tank. Tonight, I decided I had better offer the blood worm. He did come to the feeding corner - but only hung out behind the others. He half heartedly ate maybe 2 blood worms & then left the feeding area while the others were still pigging out.

There's no white poo that I've seen. Mind you, I have not actually seen his poo at all. From what I can tell, his colour has not changed at all.

I don't have a quarantine tank setup to put him in. I could set up a hospital tank, using water from this tank & putting some of the filter media from this tank into a filter for that one - but would this be signing his death warrant??? The tank they are in is pH controlled by C02 & ph is set at 6.6pH. Water out of my tank is 7.5 minimum. Of course I can play around with pH and I have Seachem Acid Regulator which would probably do the job - but don't these products just 'cause unstable pH???

If I did move him, how should I treat him. Should I give him his final treatment of Big L, or should be doing something different for him.

Although I worry about moving him & signing his death warrant by doing so, I also worry about what effect it may have on my other discuss if I leave him there.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

ILLUSN
Sun Jul 08, 2007, 11:29 PM
keep going as you are, they will eat it when they are hungry enough (it took mine 2 weeks to take to discus dinner). leave him in the tank he's in.

apistodiscus
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 11:56 AM
is the non-feeding fish being bullied by the others? Sometimes it helps to move the aquarium decor around a bit. But once your fish hasn't gone dark I wouldn't do anything except a rise in temperature by a couple of degrees

TW
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks ILLUSN & apistodiscus

No, he isn't being bullied. He hasn't gone dark - colour is normal. When I first got him (just over 3 weeks ago) he was eating bloodworms (only) & hung out with the others. Can't say exactly when he stopped eating - but definitely from at least the time I started offering beef heart & maybe earlier. He also stopped hanging around with the others & spends most of his time in the rear top hand corner of the tank. Offering him blood worm hasn't resparked his interest in eating either. This morning he was in the eating corner & once feeding commenced (which means more exicited behavour from the other discus) he only hung around for a moment or two. It was like their boisterous behavour was too much & he turned & swam away.

I'll let you know if he darkens in colour at all. Thanks for your advice.