PDA

View Full Version : transferring discus

gypsy3
Sun Jul 08, 2007, 03:31 AM
ok, here goes!....i've agreed in principle to buy 14 discus of various sizes. the guy has to be rid of them by the 15th of july.iwon't have my tank ready till about the 13th.i need some advice off you guys whether this transfer can be done without danger to the fish: - i will be taking about60% of his water, also taking some media(bioballs, wool) to put straight into my filter aqua one 2400) .the rest of the water will consist of aged water with prime added, also some of the seachem bacteria starter ( the name escapes me at the moment) When the tank is full the fish will then have to picked up and put straight in the tank.( no choice in this) will this plan be ok, or should i just give them a miss?....i hope not, because all up its a good deal....thanks,... mick

ILLUSN
Sun Jul 08, 2007, 11:52 AM
if you can get his water and biomedia for your filter it will go ok, dont feed them for 24hrs after the move (give the filter a chance to catch up), also if possible keep the light off to help them settle. When using the bio starter, saturate your new (not his) filter media with it, then dose the tank. personally i use the maintanence dose daily for 3 days when doing such a move.

Davo
Sun Jul 08, 2007, 01:41 PM
How long has your tank been set up for? If possible can you transport a large amount of the water that the discus were in?

If you are uncertain I would not risk 14 discus. If you are desprate I have a 3ft tank that is cycled and you could put some of them in it until you are ready.

Dave.

gypsy3
Sun Jul 08, 2007, 09:24 PM
thanks for the advice guys..although 2 differing opinions have still left me in a bit of a dilemma....and thanks for the offer Davo, but i'm in Bundaberg

the german
Mon Jul 09, 2007, 08:56 AM
also dont feed them 24 h before the transport,very important.otherwise they can womat and thats very bad for the water in the bags

sponge2
Sun Jul 15, 2007, 07:55 PM
Hope the move has gone ok.
All of my tanks are bare bottom and get 25% to 50% water change daily.
I tend to hold sponge filters in some of my sumps so i can take 60% of the old water and the some of the sponge to help the new system.
This seems to work as if you doing a large water change and all the paramiters seem to hold as normal.