PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate discus

nymf
Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:22 PM
Hi, im wondering what 'intermediate' means in relation to discus types or strains? Is it some sort of x.. :?:

djceri_g
Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:06 PM
soz I cannot help you there but may I say, That is the best looking Discus I have ever seen! Is it yours? Lovely!

madaboutfish
Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hi nymf,

I think an intermediate discus is one which carries a particular gene but it is not expressed/shown in a fish. For example an albino intermediate carries the albino gene (recessive gene) but is not an albino. However when it is bred with another albino or albino intermediate, 2 copies of the recessive gene will result in some albino offspring. Hope I got it right.

Nick

scott bowler
Fri Jul 06, 2007, 05:15 AM
yeah nick thats about it mate well done

nymf
Fri Jul 06, 2007, 08:28 AM
Oh ok, the reason i asked this question is coz i seen an awsome fish in the photo album section, one of Scott Bowler's discus and he said it was an intermediate melon and it is solid bright red in colour.
Now im only new to discus keeping but every discus ive seen labeled a melon had nothing on this fish in the way of brightness, hence wanting to know if the term intermediate had anything to do with its colour.
So thanks for your help with my question,im still a bit stumped about Scott's fish but at least i know what intermediate means.( geeze im sick of writing that word.lol)

The discus pictured on my profile isnt mine.(dream'n) :oops:
I found it on the net and i love leopard type discus ,so i thought id throw it up there until i can show some of my own..

nymf
Fri Jul 06, 2007, 08:31 AM
oh forgot, cheers for the info Nick..

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 06, 2007, 08:41 AM
Scott has this very annoying habit of owning AMAZING fish, worst is that given a month or two with him they look even better!

scott bowler
Sat Jul 07, 2007, 08:38 AM
hehe thanks mate i do try to do good things with my fish