PDA

View Full Version : How many Apisto Pairs

TW
Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:47 AM
Hi there

In a planted community tank with a floor plate of 20inches x 36inches, how many pairs of apisto could be safely housed? I don't intend to attempt breeding in this tank, as I have a separate species tank for that purpose.

Thanks in advance.

AussieStar
Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:59 AM
ill go with one, they like the own space

Rod
Tue Jul 03, 2007, 09:53 AM
I don't intend to attempt breeding in this tank, as I have a separate species tank for that purpose.

So do I....It's called a bed.....LOL

You might intend that the FISH don't breed.....but reality is you can't stop them if the tank contains both sexes!!!

flaggy
Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hi TankWatcher

Like you, I have separate breeding tanks. In my 99cm long community tank, I keep 2 pairs of cacs, 1 steel blue and 1 male blue ram together with many other fish. I don't seem to have any problems.

Since you are not looking to breed the fish in that particular tank, perhaps you can keep males-only of a number of different species. This arrangement avoids the normal stress and aggression associated with spawning.

Providing heaps of hiding places and plants could help.

Also, the species may also be a factor. My female panduro actively goes hunting and killing other fish.

Cheers

Th0mas
Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:16 PM
This is 36 inches (3 ft), correct?

That should provide plenty of length for 2 - 3 pairs depending on species (certain species are reported to be extremely territorial). Like flaggy suggested - plenty of ornament to break up the tank.

awth
Wed Jul 04, 2007, 02:38 AM
This is 36 inches (3 ft), correct?

That should provide plenty of length for 2 - 3 pairs depending on species (certain species are reported to be extremely territorial). Like flaggy suggested - plenty of ornament to break up the tank.

X2!!!

Or alternatively, one pair of I. Adokeata would be ideal! :wink:

Th0mas
Wed Jul 04, 2007, 03:41 AM
Or alternatively, one pair of I. Adokeata would be ideal! :wink:

That would be nice to have - but a mighty effort for them to swim over to our shore first.....
:roll:

awth
Wed Jul 04, 2007, 07:08 AM
That would be nice to have - but a mighty effort for them to swim over to our shore first.....
:roll:

Try smuggle a pair for your own, the next time you visit Hong Kong! :wink:

Th0mas
Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:37 PM
Don't even think about it, not worth the trouble for them.

TW
Wed Jul 04, 2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Seems in a well planted tank with lots of hiding spaces (which is what the tank is) 2 or 3 pairs will be okay. Perhaps I wil stay away from panduro though. It would be nice to have some of those fish that awth has, but that is but to dream.....

Thanks again.

Th0mas
Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:34 AM
I've seen them in Sydney once, hopefully someone know what to do with them.