PDA

View Full Version : Help on this mg/L dosing

Erk
Sun Jul 01, 2007, 06:17 PM
I understand now my algae issues are from not dosing the seachem products correctly....well I have my dry ferts ordered, and should be here tomorrow, but in the meantime to get through the seachem stuff.....what does it mean on the bottles when it says "this dose raises X by 2mg/L" I need to figure out how much to dose....the phosphorus bottle has an equation to follow.....and based on that equation, I need to add 54mL of phosphorus to raise phosphates by 1.5ppm? No wonder everyone said to get dry ferts :shock:

Any help would be great....I see the light at the end of tunnel with this algae....just not sure on everything on how to get there

Thanks very much! :D

DIY
Mon Jul 02, 2007, 03:10 AM
The only seachem product I use is excel, which doesn't talk about raising mg/l so I'll just use a generic example to help explain.

FYI mg/l is interchangable with ppm (at least that's what I've always been told)

In this example the dosage on bottle says 5ml raises 40l by 2mg/l (2ppm)

And you want to raise a 190l aquarium to a target dosage of 1.5ppm

Start by dividing the target result you need by the quoted result
1.5ppm / 2ppm = 0.75
Then times the quoted dose amount x the result above
5ml x 0.75 = 3.75ml
This tells you that 3.75ml of the quoted dose you will raise 40l of water by 1.5ppm (the target you need)

Now divide aquarium size by quoted dose "size" , 190 / 40 = 4.75
So you know how many times the dose "size" fits in your aquarium

Now you times the 2 results 4.75 x 3.75ml = 17.81ml (18ml is close enough)

There may be a quicker way to calculate the amount, but this works for me :lol:

Erk
Mon Jul 02, 2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks very much DIY even if there is a quicker way, this is fine, I just need some kind of formula....im wayyyy under dosing my tank with ferts :shock:

Thanks again for spelling that out for me :D