PDA

View Full Version : Prazi treatment

GrkBoy
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
Hey guys, I have a silly question to ask.

My fish have been displaying signs of flukes... constant flicking of the fins, sometimes rubbing against plants and gravel, and at times one gill is closed, and others both are working... did I do a right diagnosis?? My fish still eat, but they are shy and hide whenever there is movement arround the tank, and the lights come on.

My question is this. My LFS told me that I can dose prazi ither in the tank and leave it in for 2 days and then use carbon to remove it, OR I could use a bucket and do dips of 20min. The pamphlet that comes with the prazi also suggests the dipping as one of the treatment methods. I am considering the dipping method as we are going through a REALLY bad heat wave at the momment, and making large ammounts of aging water is out of the question.

What do you guys suggest, has anyone tried the dipping method, is it succesfull?? Could I also add some salt in with the prazi as I have read this helps the fish and at what rate.

All advice will be greatly appreciated!

GrkBoy
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 09:41 PM
Anyone???? Help guys!!!!

My babies are sick :(

Erk
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 11:42 PM
GrkBoy I am a newbie to discus and plants, but I dont think you wanna put salt in a planted tank...not good for plants. Are you gonna move the fish?

I have some threads going about treating with prazipro, and I am about to dose it in my tank now

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13039

If they are flicking at your decorations, and one gill is closed it sounds like gill fluke

here is the other link...sorry forgot to post the one, and for some reason cant put it where I want it now :lol:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12576 that one is a tad long...

Again, I am a newbie, just in your shoes.......you could always google gill fluke and read up on it..thats what I did while I was supposed to be at work

Hopefully someone else will chim in soon

Good luck :)
Eric

GrkBoy
Thu Jun 28, 2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks Erk, always good to know im not alone....
Lets hope prazi does what its supposed to do effectivley!

Erk
Thu Jun 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
You're welcome GrkBoy, def. not alone with issues with the discus :oops:

Sounds like prazi is effective if dosed properly

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, andI hope your fish do ok in the process

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jun 28, 2007, 06:54 PM
I would dose the tank, you don't have to change water or use carbon after Prazi, it dissipates all on it's own. If you feel you lack experience a bath is safer than a dip. The only silly question is the one you don't ask!
MAC

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 29, 2007, 05:09 AM
I agree with MAC.

Prazi is highly effective when used at the correct dose, and won't harm your plants or your bio filter.

Just carefully follow the instruction on the box, and repeat the dose if necessary.

I've never used the dip method. I prefer to treat in the main tank. Never had a problem doing it that way.

GrkBoy
Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.

I read somewhere, I think on a 'method' Jack wattley uses, that u can dose, after 48 hours do a 50% water change, and then re-dose.. then again after 48 hours a water change, and continue this for about 3 weeks so that all flukes and their eggs in the tank can be eradicated...

Does this sound like tooo much medicating, or is it logical??

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:33 PM
Personally I can't really see the point in doing that but who am I to argue with Jack. Flukes have a 7 day cycle and that's why it is recommended you redose after that time. As long as you don't under dose theoretically you should be able to get away with 2 doses a week apart. I'm not fond of using meds so IMO the less you can get away with the better.
MAC