PDA

View Full Version : Formalin Malachite Solution

Stevepet23
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:27 AM
I was told this works great for fin growth for discus. Has anyone used this before? Does anyone now the dosage as there is nothing on the bottle?

sammigold
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 02:05 PM
I would have thought it would be used as a medication against fin rot... but I wouldnt have thought it would promote fin growth. To my knowledge formalin can be deadly if used incorrectly and will also not be flushed out of the system as are other anti bacterial agents. I have attached a link to some info on formalin. http://www.geocities.com/koifla/Formalin.htm

Maybe contact the manufacturer to get recommended dosage and to confirm this conjecture about fingrowth.

I believe keeping your water parameter pristine and your fish healthy will promote fin growth.

If you are experiencing issues with fin rot there are a number of threads in the emergency room and illness and medication forums that address this problem and some solutions.

HTH
cheers
sammi

nicholas76
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:16 PM
umm thats a new one to me..

that med is great when your fish have fin rot or related issues.

for fin growth only good water and food ( and genetics) will do it for you.

Stevepet23
Tue Jun 26, 2007, 04:32 AM
No I have no problems with fin rot & all my discus have good fin growth. I just wanted to see if it was worthwhile using it. I wont be using it.

Thank you both for your opinions!