PDA

View Full Version : Ethics for the LFS??

Nicky
Sun Jun 24, 2007, 12:32 PM
Just wondering what the rules & reg's are for the LFS as far as caring for their fish? One of my LFS's has recently started bringing in discus (and obviously don't know anything about them) and while they looked great for about a week, they are now all falling sick (VERY sick) and many are dying. When I called in yesterday, every tank which had discus in it had at least one dead fish, and a heap of others looking not far off. Many tanks running at only 24-25 deg, and some extremely stressed fish. Such a shame as some beautiful specimens in there.

I tried to tell the owner about tapeworm (a tank full of babies with worms hanging out their u no wats), and was promptly (and quite rudely) told that they knew what they were doing & didn't need our advice.

Maybe some of the owners of other FS's on the forum can advise what (if anything) can be done about traders like these - are there any rules they need to follow like a duty of care for the fish? or is it totally un-policed?

I'd love to call the RSPCA on these guys.

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 06:13 AM
Things like this $HIT me to tears!, i'm not sure if the RSPCA will get involved or not, but i'd personally blacklist the shop and tell everyone i meet to avoid it.
There is no excuse for that kind of mistreatment.

Nicky
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 06:19 AM
Tell me about it. I bet the breeder would have no idea either, they said they get their discus from interstate. Imagine how they would feel knowing they'd sent their fish off somewhere like that!

scott bowler
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 06:49 AM
it not good to see a shop treat there fish and customers that way.like ILLUSN said just stay away from this shop .there will be other people out there that will see it and feel the same. there realy isnt much more you can do .but if you wanted to give the RSPCA a call and see it if fish cruelty and needs to be taken care of .If you yell loud someone wll hear you good luck wth it Nicky let us now how you go.

nicholas76
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 06:57 AM
RSPCA are hopeless !

plus the LFS could debate that they arrived sick or or blame some other avenue. Either way by the time the red tape is worked fish will be long dead.

Best avenue is to simpley stay away from that LFS , tell your friends ( not online ) and let it be a costly excercise for those people.

taksan
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 08:48 AM
I'd be telling everyone I meet .... like I do about a shop in Melbourne.

Nicky
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 06:14 AM
Just an update - I did speak to the RSPCA, they said that there is no legislation covering fish YET, so absolutely nothing anybody can do about it right now.
I had a friend who was wanting to buy some frogs for her new setup - I warned her about them but she bought from there anyway... They sold her a sick frog, and when she took it back 3 days later they said "oh yeah, definitely sick..." it had a disorder relating to malnutrition. She asked them why did they sell it to her then if it was sick? It hadn't changed in the 3 days she'd had it so they sold it to her exactly as it was when she took it back. They simply said 'Oh we wouldn't have sold it to you like that..." Nice.

Bring on new legislation so people like this can be shut down.

taksan
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 03:00 PM
Post the name of the shop ......
I'm sure ..... actually 100% sure that vendor verdicts are entirely ok

Proteus
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 11:45 PM
If your claims are based on fact which can be proven, and is stated in an unemotional way (i.e. stick to the facts) then these idiots need to be exposed and shown for what they really are.

Call this a wake up call to any dodgy shop or supplier... your days may just be numbered.

Nicky
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 12:58 AM
Ok guys well at risk of having the post pulled or getting in trouble - in the interests of public awareness and one day hopefully changing the rules so that in the future the LFS can be held accountable for their actions in just the same way that your next door neighbour can be held accountable for mistreating their dog or cat.

The shop is Fish Haven in SA. Locals will know of it.

I'll see if I can get in there with a camera and take some images to support.

I wonder if there is anything that we can do as a group to assist in bringing in new legislation? Any political experts out there?

Proteus
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 02:26 AM
I wonder if there is anything that we can do as a group to assist in bringing in new legislation? Any political experts out there?

Maybe that is something that can be looked into.

As for what we can do... easy, vote with our feet and wallets... the opportunity always needs to be given for the shop to improve there act, failing that, name them and shame them, word of mouth is a powerful tool.

As for the risk of having the post pulled, not likely at all...

fish_r
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 08:48 AM
haha thought it might be them lol, the same shop i took to consumer affairs ! i honestly dont know how they stay in business i read and hear so many complaints from people that go there...

scott bowler
Fri Jul 13, 2007, 09:36 AM
well people need to stop going in there and need to be aware of the practices in this spot. oh Nicky the post is all good the boss said so lol

Nicky
Sat Jul 14, 2007, 10:51 AM
Phew. Thanks Scott!
I just hate to see anyone else get burned by these people.
My girlfriend still hasn't gotten over the whole episode with her frog :)