PDA

View Full Version : what do you use to measure your tank temperature?

Mattzilla
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 09:52 AM
i have been having a hard time lately with my digital thermometers getting an accurate temp. i think i must have bought dodgy digi thermos because they are giving my false temp reading left right and centre and my discus are starting to get annoyed. it's only since i found an old themometer that i am getting an accurate measurement.

do you use digital only?
digital and a normal thermometer?
just a normal thermometer?
or what?

if you use a digi thermo, what brand is the most accurate and reliable?

i'm going on a 3 week holiday in less than 2 weeks so i'd like to get my tanks tempos all perfect before i go.
thanks for the help guys!

matt

weird
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 10:28 AM
I got 3 digital therms from d1ck smith, they are not the sexiest on the market ... but so far I have been more than happy with them.

Chris McMahon
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 11:21 AM
I've got 4 digital ones. 3 are brand "AA" -$12ea and a newer "Resun" $15. I much prefer the Resun. The AA are smaller but only have a single temp mode and an inaccurate clock mode.

The Resun has both an internal (tank) and external (room) temp mode, a high and low alarm, and a highest/lowest feature so you know the highest/lowest temps your tank gets to. Much better value than the AA model.

All four seem fairly accurate, but I think it's more important that they measure change in temp accurately, then absolute temperature. You could calibrate them with an old mercury thermometer if you wanted, but the thought of breaking one in the tank and poisoning everything would stop me from leaving a mercury one in permanently.

Mattzilla
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 02:20 PM
thanks guys...anyonw else use anything different?

ctvu
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 09:44 PM
I am using the same with Chirs - Resun one - so far so good and one doggie one just for checking occasionally

mtchye
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 12:33 AM
I'm using a Dick Smith's one i bought maybe 5 years ago, kept it outdoors in the dust and rain and recently i brushed it off, put in a new battery and it works great..

It is on par with all my normal thermometers and readjusts quickly to changes.. seems very accurate, and has max and min alarms as well as room temp indicator...

I guess perhaps the ones with both room and tank temps seem to be of better quality?

Mattzilla
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 03:12 AM
thanks guys...sounds like d i c k smith digi thermos are the way to go.

flukes
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 03:20 AM
I use one made by Hanna instruments i "borowed" from work. Gets with in 0.01 of the temp..

nag
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 05:12 PM
I dip my finger in the tank and find out :!:
:lol: :lol:

Mattzilla
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 12:36 AM
aaaaaah the only truely acurate way of course....the old finger dipping method. why didn't i think of that?????

BlackGhost
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 09:10 AM
I h a normal floating termometer and one of the one that are black and you stick on the outside of the glass and they change colour to what colour it is in the tank. ..... if that made any sense.....

Mattzilla
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 09:13 AM
yeah i know the ones...are they accurate???

mtchye
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 09:53 AM
I don't find those sticker style ones to be very accurate. The lil glass ones with the red line in em seem to be fairly accurate though! All of mine always correspond to the digital one, so I'm assuming they are all reasonably accurate...

Mattzilla
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 10:19 AM
i am planning on using both a digital thermo (from d ick smith) and a standard mercury thermo on each tank so that they keep eachother honest

xen
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 07:30 AM
Matt, careful with the mercury ones & discus.

My discus managed to bust the original glass thermometer I had in with them. I only noticed when I saw a big ding in my snakeskin's nose :-(

I'm now using one of the AA digitals, and I've been pretty happy with it. As Chris said, it's accurate at reading changes, and that's the most important thing. I hear great things about those Resuns though.

Cheers!
John

Mattzilla
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 07:45 AM
thanks john