PDA

View Full Version : Breeding room design

Des
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
Dear forum members,

After keeping various S American cichlids and a reef aquarium in the past I'm thinking about creating a smallish fish room for breeding a couple of strains of Discus. I am presently at the very first stage of planning and I was wondering if you could help me with a couple of questions:

1. Is there an up-to-date "how to" book for designing a smallish Discus breeding room from scratch (I have a 12 ft long and 8 ft high wall in a brick garage available for tanks)?
2. What are the best websites that provide literature on this subject?
3. Does anybody know an experienced Discus breeder in the Merseyside/Lancashire/Cheshire area of the UK that may show me around his fish room and provide some advice?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

All the best,
Des

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:55 PM
Des,

There's a million ways of building fishrooms, it boils down to what space you have, your budget, whether you want to run a system or individual tanks, the fish you want to keep or breed, the list goes on. I'm not aware of any particular web sites that are able to help you but you'll find a sticky in Equipment on this forum that has pics of member setups that may be helpful.

PaulUK, an English based member here may be able to help you with Discus.
MAC

scuba123cliff
Sun Jul 01, 2007, 02:22 AM
Hi having just built a fish room myself some of the most important things i have found are.
1-good insulation (mine is 100mm polystyrene)
2-power points work out how many you need then add more
3-water supply and water storage
4-drainage and water disposle
5-lighting do you light each tank or the whole room (i went for both options)
6-dont forget to put a rcd safty switch on your power curcit
7-most importantlly jam as many tanks in as you can
8-then when you have done this you will work out that you should have gone bigger as it will never be big enough
hope this is some use to you i can send you some pics of my room if this is of any use to you.
Cliff

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jul 01, 2007, 03:15 AM
And then get ready to hide the electricity bill from your wife when it arrives, it can get scary!
MAC

djceri_g
Sun Jul 01, 2007, 09:55 AM
visit www.discusfishuk.com its a uk site with loads if breeders for great advice! Good luck

sponge2
Sun Jul 15, 2007, 08:20 PM
Sorry down in the south. But my fish house has been changed round time after time.
Current tanks in my5ft by12ft shed i have.
18"x18"x48" 2 off
22"x15"x37" 1 off
18"x19"x16" 8 off
52"x20"x19" 1 off

All for discus, have 9 breed pairs. if you can set-up a central sump you will save money and if the garage is attacted to the house you could add on to central heating to heat air with radiators.
I heat my fish house to 32 degrees yes its hot in there but all my tanks hold at 30 degrees and the tank heaters never go on.
I have lights on every tank but they are only in use if people visit, other than that i have three placed enery saver bulbs in shed and some indirect sun light.

sponge2
Sun Jul 15, 2007, 08:22 PM
Sorry down in the south. But my fish house has been changed round time after time.
Current tanks in my5ft by12ft shed i have.
18"x18"x48" 2 off
22"x15"x37" 1 off
18"x19"x16" 8 off
52"x20"x19" 1 off

All for discus, have 9 breed pairs. if you can set-up a central sump you will save money and if the garage is attacted to the house you could add on to central heating to heat air with radiators.
I heat my fish house to 32 degrees yes its hot in there but all my tanks hold at 30 degrees and the tank heaters never go on.
I have lights on every tank but they are only in use if people visit, other than that i have three placed enery saver bulbs in shed and some indirect sun light.