PDA

View Full Version : 34 Degrees

ivo
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 09:09 PM
Due to the cold weather my heater does not seem to keep the tank warm at the right temperature, so yesterday i added a little heater to assist. It was 31 degrees when i went to bed and i meant to keep it at 31 since i am treating them with de worm medicine. When i woke up it was 34 degrees and some discus colour have gone pale including the eyes. I quickly change water to bring temperature to 31 and unplug the little heater.

Will the discus recover from this heat shock? Thanks.

Robdog
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 09:25 PM
Will the discus recover from this heat shock? Thanks.

It's probably not the heat shock that will affect them as it would have been a fairly gradual increase. I think the WC back down to 31 will likely have more of an impact.

Having said that, you are still talking about +30 degree temps so not many bugs are able to withstand those kinds of temps anyway.

ivo
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 11:42 PM
thanks rob. to be exact it was a change of 2 degrees when i did the WC so hopefully they will recover. they look better now the eyes are getting more red colour back. dxxm cold weather.

scott bowler
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 03:36 AM
ivo what did it drop to before you put he other heater in? .the fish can handle a small drop i have my water colder when i do water changes and at night it will drop a little anyway. How big is the heater that you had in there in the first place? what is the watts to the tank size?

ivo
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 04:21 AM
hey scott, its a jager 200W heater in a 215L tank. It works fine normally but these few days so cold and it couldn't bring the temp. to 31C as i wanted (reason being i was de worming them) so i added a small heater to assist but the temp. just kept going up until i notice it was 33.8 to be exact. you would think if i set them at 32C then they will stop heating beyong that, and obviously not. i was bit panic cos some discus have lost colour due to the heat then i poured cold water in and brought temp. down by 2 degrees immediately. probably not the best solution but i was a bit panic.

now all discus are eating, swimming and fighting normal but some of them have not fully regained colour yet. hopefully they will regain full colour soon. thanks mate.

taksan
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 05:36 AM
Jagers have resettable thermostats.

Check the manual and you will see how to reset the thermostat.

A 200w Jager will handle a 215l tank with no problems.

ivo
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 07:15 AM
hi taksan, thanks. i threw the manual out already do you or anyone know how to reset?

taksan
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 08:14 AM
The internet is your friend

samir
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 01:31 PM
1. unplug the heater
2. keep it in water
3. pull the button on top of the heater up
4. measure tank temp with a thermometer
5. adjust the dial on the heater to the correct temperature
6. push the button back down

ivo
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 01:39 PM
The internet is your friend thank you. what a brilliant idea. feel free to edit my post.

samir, thank you. i have just followed yr steps and appreciate that.