PDA

View Full Version : Some discus tank questions, please help

Discus55
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
Well i havn't posted in ages well i have a few questions,

I would like about 5 discus,

Which tank size would be better?
48"x18"x18" or 72"x18"x12"(LxHxW)

Also would i be able to keep 3 angelfish and 10 neons and cardinals with them? My angels are smallish about 2- 3 inches in size the biggest and the smallest being about 1" with out tail.

I will have a load more questions but i will be getting the glass tank soon as its my birthday so i need to know the better size.
Thanks guys
Sean

scott bowler
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 04:39 PM
hi Sean i think that bigger is better so go for the 72"x18"x18 that would be good . becouse you may think that you are going to have only 5 dscus but once you start you will wont more just ask everyone on this site hehe,
as for the Angels not a good idea Angels carry some parasites and things that discus will not deal with well .So no for them and the neons may become dinner but not always , i have cardnals they are a little bigger and go better in the low ph .well i hope that i haveed help a little god luck with it all keep us posted as you go scott

Robdog
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 09:29 PM
I agree with our trusty Advisor Scott. Go the 72 but I'd stretch it out to at least 24"x24". More capacity and I think the dimensions look better than 18"x18"

Scotty Bils
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:26 AM
Agreed, If I was you I would not get a tank 12" deep, it would be a real pain to plant / decorate. At least get it 18". It will also give you a massive increase in water volume.

Mine is 18" deep and 20" tall and I wish that it was 20" deep and 22" tall!! - This is mainly because the room I have it in now would suit a bigger tank.

Where are you putting it? I would go for as big as the room would suit and then go nuts from there!!! :D :D