PDA

View Full Version : Raising Eggs/Fry

AussieStar
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 07:32 AM
Im bit of a noob to Dwarfs and egg breeders. With my old Blue rams i just let nature takes its casue and it they survived they survived.

But i got a pair of Double Red Cacu. and they how have eggs. Just wondering what i should do. They are in the tank by themselves with some driftwood plants and caves.

The eegs are about 2 days old, well from what i have noticed. So what should i do now.

Th0mas
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 09:34 AM
I think they should be left with them.

If they're good, the parent will bring them up to free swimmer. After that, it's your decision to work out whether they are good enough parent to keep the fry going with or take care of them yourself (usually takes a few tries before decide to take over).

That's my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

AussieStar
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 12:13 AM
might just let them look after them

Robdog
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 12:28 AM
I think parent raised is the way to go like Th0mas.
Maybe remove the dad after a while as he may get beat up if he tries to have another go at spawning too soon.
I've found that the babies feed a little more willingly when left with mum as she seems to tell them what to do and when it's safe to do it.

AussieStar
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 03:42 AM
what do i feed the fry? bbs?

Th0mas
Sat Jun 23, 2007, 06:19 AM
That would be the one most recommends, other is microworm (BBS reported to have higher nutrition value).

AussieStar
Sat Jun 30, 2007, 03:07 AM
bit of a update.

Egg where there or about 5 days untill they dissappear. My guess is that they were eaten.

But now my Male just seems to sit next to the driftwood on the gravel and doing nothin. Any ideas?

Namn8r
Sat Jun 30, 2007, 03:15 AM
Where is your female? Are you sure they havent hatched and she has moved them to a new cave?

With most apistos the males guard a large territory and the female will guard the immediate area around the young. Females take all the care of the young.

Rams on the other hand take turns taking care of eggs and young

AussieStar
Sun Jul 01, 2007, 11:26 AM
see is swiming around the tanbk aswell. I have looked in the tank and cant seem to see anymore eggs or fry. Ill hav a better look tomorrow

AussieStar
Mon Jul 02, 2007, 10:56 AM
had a look today , and there is no egg's or fry that i can see. But i can only see 3 sides of tank, so maybe hiding around the back or something. Male still seems to be sitting around doing nothing

Th0mas
Mon Jul 02, 2007, 12:55 PM
How does the male look apart from sitting around and not doing anything?

Is he eating?

Chase or being chased?

Apistogramma male sitting around after spawn can be a real concern.

AussieStar
Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:58 AM
well last night i did 50% water change an got home from work today and he was dead. He was eating a little but not as much.

The female is fine and ill keep a eye on her for next couple of days.

Its a real shame, he was a very good looking male. Ill have to wait till they repair the house after these floods and we are able to move back home before i get another male.