PDA

View Full Version : REvamp of tank - advise please

gingerbeer01
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:16 PM
I have a 6 foot x 14 inch wide x 19.5 inch deep tank I am planning a major makeover. Want to improve on my plants as waht I have is not ideal.

I am looking for advise on lighting, substrate and CO2.

Currently have a 6 foot single tube and double four foot tube in the middle giving high light in the middle and shadier locations at the end. Looking to purchase a single unit to do all - what would you reccomend and why.

Also currenty have a fine gravel. Want to change to something dark. any suggestions as to what to use and how much I will need.

Co2 wise I currently DIY with yeast - not crating enough for the size tank I have. How would you do it.

I am on a tight budget so like cheap - especially as I have another project being revamping my dwarf rack planned for the same time, but if given good reason will rearrange schedules to allow as I want to do this good.

Thanks,
Steve

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 21, 2007, 12:30 AM
lighting: if your on a budget, this will be hard, id go with a double 80w t5 setup with individual reflectors (still budget atleast $300). this will get you going in the right direction, you can add another one later when funds permit and then you will have EXCELLLENT light.

Gravel: if you want dar i'd say go Eco complete, but this isn't cheap. if youve got fine gravel already, try adding some laterite and/or JBL aquabasis plus to it to get it going for plants. to darken it up you add in a few bags of Eco (say 2 in your tank layed over the top of the substrate) which will keep your costs down, or onyx by seachem, which is more gray than black. (budget bout $45-55 a 9kg bag for eco)

as for co2 yeast will not do. get yourself a good reg (tunze are good value for money) a fire extinguisher which fits the reg (look around a 3.5kg should cost you bout $100) and bubble into your canister filter.

thats about the cheepest way you'll get the tank done right but you wont have much change from $700