PDA

View Full Version : Aggression Issues

Robdog
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 05:15 AM
Th0mas brought up in interesting point recently. He said that his recently aquired A. iniridae are fairly aggressive amongst themselves and the other apistos in their tank.
Throughout my experience with apistos (definitely less than Th0mas) it got me thinking about what was the most aggressive species I have kept. I kept a trio of A. nijsseni about 18months ago in my community tank. There was more than enough hiding spaces around the 4ftr but these guys were constantly brawling, amongst themselves and others in the tank including a breeding 4inch male Kribensis, a well known pound for pound brawler!

Probably the weakest and most timid I have found would be A. Rio Mamore. Has been in the tank for roughly 3 months and is still the whipping boy of the tank. :roll:

Keen to hear other peoples experiences.

gingerbeer01
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 06:31 AM
Panduro female ripped the face of her mate. Must have been that time of the month.

Steve

Th0mas
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't say Rio Mamore is timid, mine (when there are still a few of them at home) gang up and killed several trifasciata (lesson learn - don't get them unless there's enough tanks to keep them).

From my experiences, have found panduro is one of the most aggressive species. In fact anything closely related to the nijsseni group (baenschi and panduro) do have quite a temper. Have seen juvenile baenschi standing against a full grown veijita which is double it's size.

Also read from other board that martini (the lyretail panduro) male often kills the female if he does not want her.

Robdog
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah I'll agree with that. Mine got pretty fiesty with each other but that was only because he was snooping on her babies too much. As soon as they were free swimming they were both the best parents I've ever had.

Th0mas
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 07:44 AM
You got fry with the Rio Mamore? What happened to them?

I've never managed to hatch any, although they spawned several times in the past.

Robdog
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:00 AM
No sorry mate :lol: You posted about a minute after me. I was agreeing about the panduro comment by gingerbeer01.
Geez if I'd spawned the Rio Mamore I would have told every major TV station to setup a news flash. I love those guys but I'm down to a lone male at the moment. Hence why he probably isn't himself I guess

Namn8r
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:26 AM
Male checkerboard with out a doubt..he used to cain my male cockatoo, a 3 inchmale aggie. Discus 3 times is size...everything.

discusqueen
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 02:40 PM
My Cockatoo would kill every girl i ever tried with him. Grumpy old fish.