PDA

View Full Version : Worm Meds Safe for Apistos

TW
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 08:17 AM
Hi Guys

Wonder if anyone knows if the following meds are safe for apistos & westies:-

a) Levamisole (Sykes Big L Pig and Poultry wormer)

b) "prazi" which I think might be Aqua Master Fluke & Tapeworm Tablets (contains "praziquantel 100mg" )

Thanks in advance.

Th0mas
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 08:20 AM
Any ideas where the worm came from??

Levamisole would be the choice providing the correct dosage is given.

Do a search in the forum, there should be plenty of information on worming with it.

TW
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Thomas

Thanks for the response. I've read up on the doses in the med's & illness forum. They're for a worming treatment for my discus & you use both (but not together). Treatment is spread over 4 weeks. There is an apisto pair in the tank, so I'm just wanting to make sure they are ok with the meds. As you know, I have lost apistos in the past to worms, so I thought if it is apisto safe, they could have a preventative treatment as well.

Apparently, many people treat their discus for worms routinely every 3 or 6 months.

Do you think both meds are safe for the apistos?

Thanks in advance.

Th0mas
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
From memory, I believed Terry from PCS (Perth Cichlid Society) treated al his fish with it (catfish, discus, apisto, etc). Best is to check with our resident vet (Noddy65) to be safe.

I've tried it once on a badly infected apisto, and it wasn't successful (might already passed the point of no return already).

BTW, I believe the periodic worming practice for discus is a precaution measure when they're fed with live food (other than those cultivated in controlled environment). If you're not feeding with such live food, then they should only required to be wormed when you first got them (in quarantine tank). Once you're satisfied they're clean, I can't see any reason for the periodic dose.

Robdog
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 04:18 PM
From my experience the Big L stuff has worked fine on apistos. I did a bit of a trial with some cacs and they came out fine. Some of them are tough little buggers though.
Prazi, not much success. I have tried it but the next day I found that the fish had melted to it's skeleton. Not pretty. Not quite sure what went wrong but maybe a half dosage would have been better.

TW
Sun Jul 08, 2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the response. It seems to be working out for me. So far, no ill effects from 1 week treatment Big L, followed by 2 weeks treatment prazzi. Next week will be a follow up treatment of Big L and then the treatment is done. Apistos don't seem phased at all.

Glad I didn't have your sad result robdog & Thomas. Sorry for those losses :cry: