PDA

View Full Version : DIY Biotop Amazon hekel

dizkuz
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 05:55 PM
DIY Biotop Amazonztylie.....

Matte G and me have been talking about doing a Biotop for along time and it would be a low budget project one...

This is a bit of the project some thought about it and som photos that we all Xioa members just love!

OK
The idea is to get a piece of amazonas and bring it home!
And get a low ph so we dont need a bio filter when the bacterium dont work under ph 5 so went crayze with the peat!!!!
But we have a chamber for a bio filter if we need it in the future.....
The tank is auto WC and self controld so less work for us!

The time we have spend so far is 3 hours and about 35 US DOLLARS
We had the tank allready and the backpiece is Polystyrene block
and that was for freee " need to work on our Karma on that one "

This is how far we have gone so far, but tomorrow we will put in the last gear and do the last tuch too it....

It will be a blackwater tank

RGD Dizkuz N Matte G

dizkuz
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 05:59 PM
Next :D

dizkuz
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 06:03 PM
Last once, they didnt get in order so sorry for that..
Hope u all like it anyway and did get u a bit of amazonas.

Rgd Dizkuz N Matte G

dizkuz
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
5 hours of work and 70 dollars later, this is the lowbudget tank

Just popp some questions about it, if u wonder somthing or have some ideas around it, please do, good or bad feed back

The only green we went for where Hydrocotyle leucocephala
3 hekel some woods and alot of peats.

Take care all!!!!!

fish_r
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 06:11 PM
that looks great, love it :)
well done...

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 11:04 PM
i'm a little concerned as you've said with a ph of 5 you wont be using a bio filter (i understand that filtration bacteria wont live at a low ph), whats your water change practice 90% daily like some asian breeders who use unfiltered tanks?
How long do you age your water for?
What do you use to drop the ph to 5?

btw beutiful tank

Bad Inferno
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
Great tank....I'm just about to spend $300 on a background and yours looks great..Can you tell me how you covered the foam ? Did you need to seal it ? whats the life expectancy of the foam ? The water that penetrates the foam does it "go off" and poison the tank...? Does the foam break down over time ? What are the downsides to using foam ?

Again great looking tank..tell me more

rob

scott bowler
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:43 AM
thats great i wish had some heckels so i could do a tank like that and $70 is awesome good work

dizkuz
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 02:45 PM
Great tank....I'm just about to spend $300 on a background and yours looks great..Can you tell me how you covered the foam ? Did you need to seal it ? whats the life expectancy of the foam ? The water that penetrates the foam does it "go off" and poison the tank...? Does the foam break down over time ? What are the downsides to using foam ?

Again great looking tank..tell me more

rob

The background isn't painted its covered in peat.
We have taken some special "concrete" and before the "concrete" hardened we stuffed the background with peat and the peat stucked in the process.

Sorry don't know the word for the kind of concrete we used in english

So the foam dont tuch the water so it would not be any trouble...
Life time i dont know yet, our first prodject with this type of set up..

Did you need to seal it ?
Yes we did with akvarium silicone.

What are the downsides to using foam ?
Dont know any yet.. seen many people use it, so time will tell. but never heard any downside about it..

So time will tell! :D

Rgd Dizkuz