PDA

View Full Version : DNA sexing

norto
Thu Jun 14, 2007, 10:55 PM
Just wondering whether it is possible to DNA sex discus? Because I have parrots also that is what is done with immature birds or birds that cannot be sexed visually.
Regards,
Norto. :?:

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 15, 2007, 02:34 AM
birds the sex chromosomes are well known, i'm not sure that it's the same with fish, i work in cytogenetics (chromosome analysis) and i'm yet to find the discus genome anyware.

Ben
Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:31 AM
It is possible as i looked into it. just too $$$$$$

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:48 AM
is it possible to do cytogeneticly? if so cytogeneticist offering services for free

Squid
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 12:38 AM
It can be done - but big bucks. Its much easier to maturate the fish (ie replicate the natural oncoming of the breeding season) You can then carefully insert a pippette into the fishes vent and extract either sperm or underdeveloped ova. Works better on bigger fishes

Tony Norton (Squid)

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jul 01, 2007, 04:29 AM
That sounds painful! About the equivalent of us falling a*s end on a baseball bat, ouch!
MAC

Squid
Mon Jul 02, 2007, 08:42 AM
Hopefully not that bad - It doesn't seen ot worry other fishes that I've seen it done to (Goldfish, trout, oscars, cichlids in general) Would have to use a fine needle pipette though - and hope they dont flinch.

Squid

Kingkat
Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:18 AM
Squid, We used to use a soft flexible tube on Barramundi Cod and Mangrove Jack and the like at the hatchery. It was a specially made tube with a rounded end not a square cut end. And we used to do it on crocs with our fingers!!!
Cheers,
David.

mistakes r crucial
Mon Jul 02, 2007, 06:00 PM
With a Croc David I reckon I'd rather put my finger in that end that the other one lol!
MAC

Kingkat
Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:18 PM
That's true Mac but it still wasn't an enjoyable job. I preferred feeding whole mudcrabs to the groper broodstock! Sorry for off topic.
Cheers,
David.

Squid
Wed Jul 04, 2007, 06:07 AM
Yeh David - exactly the same technique but a little harder on smaller cichlids. You can buy those blunt ended syringes etc from any good aquaculture supplier.

Squid