PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Master Aquarium salt.

D.J
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 07:50 AM
Hi, just bought the aqua master aquarium salt today, but was not to sure on how to apply it, eventhough the instructions is there.
I was just wondering if anyone can point me to right direction if I want to use it for diseases?
Will aquarium salt increse the hardness of the water?
Also can I use it once a week even if there isn't anything wrong with the fish? cuz I heard it's good for their indigestive system.
Thanks Guys.

Donald.

weird
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 09:37 AM
Dunno about always using it, I have been told by someone in these forums from a particular shop (well respected) that discus don't particularly like salt. So I would only use it during times of illness. I will pm them to see if they will confirm.

kevkoi
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 10:35 AM
Unless there is a problems with your discus, salt is generally prescribed as a "Tonic bath" for discus.

Yes, "aquarium salt" of which a big portion is just sodium chloride will increase the general hardness of the water. It will do nothing for carbonate hardness but it will increase gH. Discus generally come from soft waters and should be kept in soft water.

flukes
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 03:00 PM
epsom salts would be good too use say once every 2 weeks as it acts as a laxitive for the fish. Although i wouldnt really see it as a must too do every fortnight i suppose it wouldnt hurt..

Kev does epsom salts have the same effect?