PDA

View Full Version : iniridae - now have fry

Th0mas
Mon Jun 11, 2007, 03:10 PM
Not 100% sure if they are F0, but still very young to sex or show any real potential. I've hosted them in the same tank with the macmasteri juvenile (hence there's a few got into the shot).

nornicle
Tue Jun 12, 2007, 12:19 AM
can you sex them yet thomas? I bought 3 yesterday and cannot sex them, figures cross i have at least 1 male/1 female and pref 2 females

Th0mas
Tue Jun 12, 2007, 12:48 AM
It's barely sexable. But not 100% certain (especially the female).

Thomas.

catfishbone
Wed Jun 13, 2007, 03:57 AM
Hey thomas ...

do you think the top fin will indicate the different sex ??? I have 2 of them too and one of them have higher dorsal fin and the other one have shorter dorsal fin ...

not too sure abt this tho ... :)

Th0mas
Wed Jun 13, 2007, 07:30 AM
They are too small to be certain.

The high dorsal definitely indicate male, but most of them are smaller and it cannot be certain.

Given them 2-3 months of growth, then it can be certain.

Thomas.

nornicle
Wed Jun 13, 2007, 03:19 PM
hrmm i dont know about the dimorphism I have 3

1 does not go yellow in the belly at all and chases the two others, and the two others go slightly yellow in the belly

so im guessing at 1m 2f, or 2m 1f... we'll see in time :D

Th0mas
Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:24 AM
Take a look at this recent post with a mature male iniridae - apart from the fin extension, it can be difficult to tell between the gender (had the same problem last time when I had them back in late 90s). The only sure way is to wait for them to mature, then it's dead easy.

That's why I've taken more than what I need, hopefully there's a good mix of gender in my group (there's a definitely male in my group).

The species is quite agressive, they pick on each other regularly (regardless of their sizes) as well as picks on the macmasteri juveniles.

Th0mas
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 02:23 AM
Quick update - a shot of the largest male (which I think I only managed to get two in my group).

k0b0i
Tue Jul 24, 2007, 03:54 AM
you need a camera like awths thom! hehe

Th0mas
Tue Oct 30, 2007, 02:30 AM
Finally they've grown and one pair was formed in the group and spawned as reported two/three weeks ago (in another thread).

However it didn't went well after I remove all other tank mates - female got a bit freaked and ate all the egg.

After leaving the pair along in their tank, the female recovered and spawned again late last week.

The wigglers hatched on Saturday, and these are taken today. Expecting free swimmers by Thursday - fingers crossed.

Bubbles
Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:58 AM
Well done ThOmas,

Fingers crossed on the survival rate :wink:

All is good here :thumb - will PM you soon & post some pics.

Baenschi have done huge turn around & are always hanging around the front of the tank - they have amazed us in such little time.

Your Iniridae male is pretty, has a fair bit of blue in his face - you have done well once again.

Cheers,
Bubbles aka Karen