PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Death

Geckoman
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 07:32 PM
I wanted to know if anyone has ever had a perfectly fine Discus suddenly die with no signs of illness what so ever? I have 6 discus all range in size and age 72 gal tank ph 6.5 no ammonia or nitrate problem and phosphate clean as well. The fish was just standing straight, looking like he was graizing for food, color great and deader than a door nail.

Not an old fish maybe 2yrs old and in fine condition a large Male 6". I am looking at the rest of them and I can't see any sign of trouble.

Maybe it was spooked and hit the tank? I can't say, this is a first for me.
I have two other tanks, parrots, silver dollars, Uaru's, I never had this happen.

Thanks for any advice

Dean

scott bowler
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 01:55 AM
hi dean sorry aout your loss mate ,all i can say is that there is so much we dont know about these fish .i havent see any thing like that but maybe some one on here has .good luck mate hope someone can help with some answers

sammigold
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 03:35 AM
Dean, you may be right It may have got spooked and hit its head. We lost a big Scat that way, he knocked himself out and drowned. He had been perfectly healthy, only about 3 years old and then Dead.
Sorry you lost your fish Dean, It is always very distressing to lose one in such a way.

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry about your fish Dean.

Just as Scott said, there are a lot of things we don't know about fish, and although it's always distressing, sometimes there is just nothing we can do.

Sometimes I do wonder if fish suffer from heart attacks or maybe a brain tumour. I guess it's possible.

Fortunately it doesn't happen very often.

the german
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 10:27 AM
sorry about your loss :cry:

can be a brain stroke after he hit a side of the tank,i heard similar things a few times back home,nothing you can do.....

michael