PDA

View Full Version : dispondant discus

Red Tail Shark
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:19 AM
bought 10 blue diamond discus about a week ago about 2-3 days ago i noticed one hiding away and generally not looking to happy so i did all the tests on the water this is what i got
amonia=0
nitrate=0
nitrite=1.0
ph=6.6 to 6.4
seeing the high nitrite level i did a 50% water change wednesday and the same thursday which removed the nitrite oh after first water change i dosed with prime not sure what else to look for or do getting worried about the little fella as he appears off his tucker as well

what should i do

cheers Cal

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:28 AM
Is this just a new tank Cal? Keep up with the prime and the water changes if you seen any nitrite reading. Nitrite is dangerous stuff.

It does often take some fish longer than others to settle in. The trauma of moving from one tank to another can bring on a case internal problems.

Watch the little guy for signs of white jelly like droppings. If you see that, get onto the metro quickly.

It may just be that he's more sensitive to nitrite than the others, and that's causing the shyness. Either way, keep a close watch on him.

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:31 AM
whats the temp of your tank? try setting it at 29C, just in case he has some kind of bug, also a bit of salt wouldn't hurt, keep up the water quality and he should come good, anything else in the tank?

Red Tail Shark
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:38 AM
that was a super quick response will keep an eye on him and and let you know how it goes
-no the tank is well run in it was secound hand when i bought it and ive had it for 1-2years
-not to sound to much like a novice what is metro
-what amount of water should i be changing and frequency???

forgot to add i have also been using the seachem discus buffers

thanks Merrilyn :D

cheers Cal

Red Tail Shark
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:44 AM
-water temp is already around 28-30C
-how much salt do u add to say 220l as I pre make my water so its heated and treated before it goes in
-no they have the run of the tank its 6ftby18inchby18inchwanted to make sure they had plenty of water

thanks also ILLUSN :D

cheers Cal

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:50 AM
i'd drop in about 2 or 3 tablespoons to the tank. it just helps a bit with osmotic preassure and with slime coat generation, mine always responded well to it when they look a little off color.

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 01:27 PM
Metro is an antibiotic, but you need to get it from your vet.

There is a list of fish friendly vets here on the forum, who know about fish, and will prescribe antibiotics if they feel it's warranted.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1758

Red Tail Shark
Sun Jun 10, 2007, 04:57 AM
seems to be venturing out more which im glad to see but does not seem to be eating is he just settling down still or do i need to be worried i feel like a over worrying parent im sure but i hate to lose my lovely fish through my own stupidness

cheers Cal

Red Tail Shark
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:15 AM
can anyone shed some light on this situation for me his colour is very dark but does seem to be out more when i feed everyone but doesnt seem to be eating

cheers Cal

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 08:26 AM
I'm thinking some kind of internal parracite or worse hex, i'd get him onto a dose of metro, make sure you have enough to do the FULL treatment.