PDA

View Full Version : questions about Methylene Blue for fungused eggs

jbickel
Thu Jun 07, 2007, 11:53 PM
1# when do you apply the Methylene Blue? (e.g just as they are laying eggs or soon after they have finished laying them)

2#what dosage do you use ?

3#When do you start doing Water Changes to get rid of the Methylene Blue
and How much water do you change

4# Can methylene blue affect the parents or young (e.g make them sterile)

Red Tail Shark
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:38 AM
hey hows it going
cant speak for discus but with my angels i remove the eggs on the secound day into a smaller tank that holds only 20 litres just enough to cover the eggs that way you only use minimal meth blue and eaiser to feed once they start free swiming the eggs hatch on the third day if you take them out straight away and treat with meth blue the treatment is only effective for three days its possible if the eggs are a little slow to hatch you will still have problems with the fungus
you can treat the tank with the parents in it if you trust them to raise them with no affect to the parents
dosage rate should be on bottle the one i use is aquarium pharmasuiticals and its 5ml to 20litres
rather than water changes after a few days i start moving them into a fresh tank meth blue takes forever to change out of a tank

cheers Cal

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 08:26 PM
If you're not stealing the eggs as Red Tail probably is with his Angels I wouldn't be using meth blue at all. That's what the parents are there for, to look after the eggs and stop any fungus..
MAC

Red Tail Shark
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:36 AM
i have had succes both ways stealing and leaving parents in but must stress this is with angels im but a mere beginner when it come to discus

cheers Cal