PDA

View Full Version : Heater location

Scotty Bils
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:57 PM
Hi there,

Everones opinion appreciated with this one.

I would like to know where the best spot in the tank is for my heater. The tank is 48x18x20 = 280 litres open top. I think open top is half of my problem!

I am keeping Discus, no suprise! so am wanting to keep it around the 30 degree mark. At the moment sems like the tank struggles to keep at 28-29 degrees when I get home around 6ish which is bareable - and who knows what temp at night! Dare say much colder with the Adelaide weather at the moment.

I hope the attached diagram helps the discussion.

I have two canister filters on the tank, one Aqua one (left hand side) 1100 l/hr and one Ehiem (Right hand side) 650 l/hr. The arrows represent the direction of the water flow, the circles the water intakes.

So where would you put the heater in this tank??? :wink: And how would you place it? Horizontal or vertical?

The heater is a 300w Tetra.

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:04 PM
You can place it horizontal or vertical Scotty, it won't matter, but what will make a difference, is the height of the heater in the tank.

Move it much lower, and you'll get more complete water heating. And, please add some cover glass to your tank. Not only will it conserve heat, but discus have been know to jump to their death.

Scotty Bils
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:09 PM
Well talk about hitting the nail on the head mate!! My heater is about 5 cm from the top lying vertical - hmmmm, "you dont have to be a genious" I hear everyone saying as heat rises!!!

Appreciate you prompt respones Merrilyn.

Cheers
Scott

samir
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:10 PM
keep it below your water change level. is the canister outlet on the other side of the tank ???

scuba123cliff
Thu Jun 07, 2007, 01:14 AM
Why not put in a second heater set at the same temp better heat dis and it can also be a back up heater if one goes bung .
only a thought
Cliff

Robdog
Thu Jun 07, 2007, 03:24 AM
I suscribe to the theory of the angled heater. Placing the heater on an angle lets the thermostat in the heater, which I believe is in the top, not be affected as much from heat rising from the element and gets a true reading of the temp in the tank.
Just a theory though

sammigold
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 03:19 AM
I have two heaters placed on the back wall on opposite sides

poimaster
Sun Jun 10, 2007, 03:29 PM
I'd have 2 heaters on the back wall, both placed horizontally near the bottom at opposite ends. As previous posts have noted heat rises and yes the thermostat is at the top of the heater, above the coils.

300w should be ok for your tank size, having 2 allows for one breaking, reduces the stress on either heater as each is heating its half of water.

my 2 cents worth

DiscusMad
Sun Jun 10, 2007, 05:39 PM
make shure its a heater that can be fully submerged because some of the cheaper heaters you can't and have to have the top sticking out

shawn barker
Thu Jun 14, 2007, 10:08 AM
Pretty obvious observation here as well. Make sure they/it are off if they come above the water line when you change water, I didn't ONCE and the thing shattered!

I know for safety reasons you should turn of the electrics when playing (I mean working) in the aquarium but...

Back on the original post subject, I like many others subscibe to the 2 is better than one theory. Hence 2 filters, 2 heaters.

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 14, 2007, 10:57 AM
2 heater one at each end angled below the water change mark or horizontal is the way to go, peace of mind for only a few dollars more.

DiscusMad
Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:35 PM
Pretty obvious observation here as well. Make sure they/it are off if they come above the water line when you change water, I didn't ONCE and the thing shattered!

I know for safety reasons you should turn of the electrics when playing (I mean working) in the aquarium but...

Back on the original post subject, I like many others subscibe to the 2 is better than one theory. Hence 2 filters, 2 heaters.

I did the same last month forgot to turn it off and then went to pull it out had the glass came appart at the water line :roll:

shawn barker
Fri Jun 15, 2007, 09:14 AM

I did the same last month forgot to turn it off and then went to pull it out had the glass came appart at the water line :roll:

Glad I'm not alone...a lot more careful now though :lol:

Scotty Bils
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 01:18 PM
Thank you to everyone who gave feedback to this question, it is appreciated.

I have now purchased online from Aquarium Suplies Australia my second heater, a Jager, for the tank which should solve this problem and also provide a redundancy feature.

Thanks once again.

Cheers
Scott :) :) :)

Skitz
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:11 PM
I had a similar problem, the tank not being able to keep at the heat that I set the heater for. My tank was 110L and I had a 150watt heater. The guy at the shop claimed that now it's coming on to colder weather the heater should be a higher wattage. It will help keep the tank more stable and it will simply turn off when it's had enough. I bought a 200watt heater, and thing seem to have improved.

mr troph
Thu Jun 21, 2007, 11:20 AM
:oops: I also left a heater on wilst doing a 50% wc and it shatterd lucky it was just a cheapy.

Todd

Maximus
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 01:16 PM
Have two Aqua One heaters in the water aging barrels.

Some time ago I forgot to fill the water inside the barrel and the two heaters were turned on using an automatic timer for almost 6 hours. Anyway the heater was still working fine - didn't crack nor shattered!

Another time, while I was pumping the water from the barrel into the aquarium, I had forgotten to turn the automatic timer off and half of those heaters were submerged and half were in the air. Well it didn't crack nor shattered as well. I was very amazed! Quite though those heaters and good value too.

Max.