PDA

View Full Version : Small free swimming white worms

enigmatic
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I've just done a water change and noted a few small (.5cm - .75cm) worms free swimming in the tank.

I've previously dosed the tank with Prazi and just wondering if it is time to dose again or if I should be using Big L?

If I'm to use Big L, please can I confirm dosage for a 5x2x2 tank?

Also, would using Big L in the tank be OK with Bristlenose and Neon Tetra?

Thanks,

Chris

ILLUSN
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure if you need to use BIG L or not, maybe just a good 50% change with a thorough gravel vac and a little less over feeding. Dont forget with prazi to redose 1 week after the initial treatment to prevent re infestation and to clean your filter. If you want to use BIG L dosage is 1 ml/7l tank water so 5x2x2 is 152x61x61=565.5L how deep is your substrate and how full is your tank? if you dose for 500-530L you should be ok (thats71.5-76mL). I've dosed BIG L with bristlenoses, ottos,cardinals,loaches and plecs with no prob at 1ml/7L. (i repeated the dose on week 3 and 6 as at week 3 worms were still comming out at week 6 nothing).

enigmatic
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty good on the water changes and gravel vac. Feeding has been cut back and is consumed quickly.

Prazi has also been dosed properly over a few months. Having used the Prazi with no effect, I just wonder if it is time to use Big L?

scott bowler
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 10:03 AM
no chris you dont need to treat them for worms ....If they are free swimming in your tank it is a resalt of over feeding they are in the tanks all the time .they will not hurt your fish but you will need to do some water changes and vac your gravel to get rid of as many as you can mate . there are other post on here talking about that very thing (and i cant remember the name im a dick)

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:41 PM
Planaria is the name you're looking for Scott :P

scott bowler
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:43 PM
hehe thanks merrilyn i just couldnt think of it hehe

scott bowler
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:50 PM
chris this may help mate
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Ali_Planaria_Worms.html

samir
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 02:00 PM
clean your tank, there's no point treating it, they're in the water supply. they will go on their own if you keep the tank clean (no leftover food)

enigmatic
Thu Jun 07, 2007, 04:56 AM
Thanks everyone. Will give the tank another clean. I noticed them during the last water change and clean but will do another change ASAP.

Haven't seen anything moving in the last 12 hours but another clean won't cause too much harm.

mystic_beth
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 07:17 AM
Planaria can and do attach to fish......Had trouble with them with my Elephant nose's..maybe as they are scaless <shrug>

enigmatic
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 08:35 AM
Well I've done a really good clean again and still not seeing anything. Will keep and eye on them and will do another water change tomorrow/Mon.

scott bowler
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 08:46 AM
chris although its good to do water changes if you did a good one today and you dont see any probs there is no ned to do water changes tomorrow and monday .just keep an eye on things and see how things go

fishgeek
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 12:55 PM
prehaps a form of fluke with head attached to the skin of fish

andrew