PDA

View Full Version : Growth Potential for a Stunted Discus

dntx5b9
Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:38 PM
Do stunted discus grow if they are eating well? I have one guy in my tank who didn't adjust very well when first introduced, so he is much much smaller than the other guys. He didn't really eat that well, if at all, for the first 6 weeks, but he has since come around, doing and eating very well. It's been over 6 weeks since he has fully recovered, but considerably smaller than other guys that were of same size when introduce to my tank about 12 weeks ago. Would he grow to be a decent sized discus?

scott bowler
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 06:29 AM
no dntx5b9 usaully once they are stunted they will not catch up ,

ILLUSN
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 06:34 AM
I don't think they ever catch up but they do grow i have a stunted fish 5 years old thats about 9-10cm, her siblings are all well over 15, however she does spawn, and last count was over 200 eggs, cant tell you if the trait is genetic or not, i've never goot fry or even wrigglers out of her.

dntx5b9
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:12 PM
I wasn't expecting my stunted guy to catch up, but was wondering how big he would get or grow at all from his current size.

scott bowler
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:23 PM
oh hehe ok it will grow still but it will seem to be small probably no bigger then 10cm at full grown around about .

dntx5b9
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:32 PM
I will take 10cm. He is probably about 7cm right now. The other guys are already 10 cm and some are bigger. Hopefully, he will get to at least 12cm.

scott bowler
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:38 PM
dntx5b9
are you shore he stunnted some time you will get one or two that will seem to slow in the groth but stll not be stunnted. dose his eye look big for the size of his body? any chance of a pic

dntx5b9
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yea, I think he is stunted. His eyes are bigger in proportion compared to other guys. When I got them 12 to 13 weeks ago, they were all the same size, and plus this guy hasn't really eaten for over 6 weeks. But who knows, I will take a pic and post soon.

discus lover01
Thu Jun 07, 2007, 12:39 AM
Hi mate i would say you will be lucky if he gets to 10cm as i have had this happen before and they are a round fish but they get to around 9cm size no bigger than 10cm max and i would not think you will get to 12cm as thats a average size for a non stunted one 12cm and up but it would be good once they have lost 6 weeks growth they just dont catch up at all and losing that growth in weeks x 6 is like us losing 12 months growth a a child thats how extensive it is as a baby discus from spawn to adult is one of the quickest growing living things we have on the planet today.
But as said you will be lucky if it gets over 9cm and the others will be 12cm and up but i am sure it's not a genetic traite and after having 20+ years with discus mate have seen it all LOL
hope this helps

dntx5b9
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 12:53 PM
Here are few pics I took a couple of minutes ago:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1434
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1435
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1436

The stunted guy in question is obvious. They were all same size when I got them in early March. Unfortunately, the blue diamond hasn't been eating well for the last three weeks ago and stopped eating altogether about a week or so ago. May be he will pull through like this stunted guy... :(

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 05:49 AM
yep thats stunted, dont give up on it, they last just as long as "normal" sized discus, and as i said mine have spawned. still a pretty fish

dntx5b9
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 01:36 PM
I am very happy that this guy pulled through after weeks of trouble. He may not grow to be a big discus, but that's fine by me. :)

iludiscus
Sat Jun 09, 2007, 01:39 PM
Hi,

I saw your discus pic & don't feel your discus is stunted. Here is few points for you.

1. Females grow little slower compare to male

2. As you said he is not eating from last few weeks. Then problem is there, bcoz if he is not eating then how'll he grow. So keep him separate & deworm your discus. Deworming force your discus to eat.

3. Keep him seperate & try B Complex in your food or water. It's help him lot.

discus lover01
Tue Jun 12, 2007, 10:59 AM
all good advice and the worming is great advice and also make sure you treat water if he isnt eating but if eating you can treat food.