PDA

View Full Version : feedback Plz

Clyde
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 05:28 PM
Ok considering switching my tank over to a discus tank. Tank is 150G High 72" x 18" x29" with two internal overflow boxes(AGA Megaflow). Filtration is a DIY wet/dry with a MAG9.5 pump figuerre im getting about 800 g/hour, and a Fluval FX5.

I have a number of rocks about 100lbs of tahitian moonsand as a substrate and four anubias plants, a couple pieces of driftwood.

Centerpiece of tank was Jardini Arowana who was getting a bit too agressive for his tank mates. In fact we have been having agression problems with a number of different types of cichlids and are considering going non-agro.

Current residents that will be staying
1-Gold nugget pleco L-018 about 4"
3- Clown Loaches about 4"

Would like to add a L025 The mean arse Jar killed the last one, and an L200.

Would like to house a total of 10 Discus.

My Tap water is about 7.4PH and fairly soft. It comes from the ground soft and acidic and they add lime to help reduce damage to plumbing as well as Chrorine, no Chloramine thankfully.

My concerns-

1) My filters are moving about 1200G/h to acomodate large messy eating critters. I assume at the least I will be doing 50%WC twice a week. Is my filtration now worthless?

2) should I try to buffer the PH down/add more drift wood? I am concerned about PH swings at WC.

3) I would like to maintain the tank at least moderately planted without having to go crazzy adding ferts or Co2. With the heavy water changes Discus require is this possible?

Keeping Discus has always interested me, and since this is a family tank my days of keeping monsters may be over. My wife would prefer Discus over the Pike Cichlids, the Direction I sugested we go in.

Robdog
Sat Jun 02, 2007, 02:21 AM
G'day Clyde. Welcome to DF.com.
From what you say, your filters are nearly giving you 10x circulation through the tank and with the WC's you plan I think you should be fine. Your tap water is fairly good and your discus will live happily in 7.4 but the more driftwood you dump in, the better I think. You can never have too much DW!
I'm not much help with the planting side of things but I reckon you'll need some ferts of some sort to keep the plants happy unless you just want to keep hardy stuff like Val and Hygro.
Pike cichlids are cool too if you go down that road. There are plenty of people here that keep other things (even a few converted salties, myself included) so whichever path you take, keep us updated. Pictures tell a 1000 words too!! Hint hint

sammigold
Sun Jun 03, 2007, 07:17 AM
Hi there Clyde, Welcome.
My feedback is this, go with what you feel but dont think that Discus wont be aggressive. They can be very aggressive amongst themselves, establishing distinct heirachies. Although they are not usually aggressive with other fish they can be easily intimidated and some plecos enjoy sucking on their slime coat and you need to watch your clownies as well. Mine sometimes try to have a suck on the side. ( I was told a nightlight will help prevent them doing this)

Have fun and enjoy. Discus are a beautiful fish and a lovely sight in a big tank.

cheers
sammi

scott bowler
Sun Jun 03, 2007, 09:49 AM
welcome clyde i think it is a good move to go over to discus they are a awesome fish .as far as your tank it all sounds good ,I would like you to make the ph lower around 6.8 is good,but as rob said they can like in 7.2 or so but they seem to be happier in the lower ph. you can us buffer to lower the ph as you know seachem discus buffer is the one i use .but there is so many to pic from just find one that sutes you. a nice planted tank always looks nice so we look forward to seeing pic hint hint .well i hope that we have helped a little and if you have any other worries there is always someone on here that can help good luck with it all
scott