PDA

View Full Version : Ro-water and tap water help

GrkBoy
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 09:31 AM
So the other day I decided to invest in a Ro unit. I have read many articles on different opinions about mixing tap water with ro water, or just using plain ol ro water and adding trace elements.

My tap waters readings are -
Kh - 6
Gh - 6-7
P.h - 8 - 8.5

My r.o water readings are -

Kh - 0-1
Gh 1-2
and p.h is unstable due to lack of Kh

Now the usual way I make my tank water is I use 1/3 tap water with 2/3 r.o water. I then add my trace elements, and filter through peat for a day.
This proccess provides me with water -

Kh - 3
Gh - 3-4
P.h 6,6

I do my water changes with the water, and the next morning my p.h reading has moved up to alomst 7 - 7,5 my kh, and gh are identical.

My question is this. Is my whole proccess of making my water correct, if not does any water guru have some advice for a newbie?? I would like to maintain my p.h at a constant 6,6.

Thanks for the help!

Ben
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 11:56 AM
If you want a constant reading of 6.6 you may need to up the calcium carbonate. But by doing this it may prohibit the eggs from developing/hatching.

PH fluctuating by a few point degrees is not going to cause trouble.

Personally I would not filter through peat as you are using a lot of RO water, this depends if you want to breed them or if they are wilds.

Erk
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 12:30 PM
GrkBoy Im a newbie too :) , so I dunno how much I can help, and Im in the states, but I have an R/O unit also, as my tap had nitrates of 20 (apparently the highest they can be legally in my area :? ) and I knew discus didnt like them this high, or this was about the highest they can and should be. I use pure R/O water, and outta my storage bin, my readings are similar to yours.....pH at best is 6.0 since thats the lowest my chart goes, with about the same kH and gH as your getting. I have a heater and mag utility pump in my storage bin to keep things warm and circulated. I have 3x5gallon buckets, and I add Kent R/O Right and Kent Discus Essentials, with some pH up back into these buckets, and all seems fine! The results for my tanks readings are listed below in my signature. I believe to raise the kH and/or gH with R/O water you woud just add more of the Kent R/O Right?

I hope this may have helped you a lil bit :)

Good Luck with it all :D
Eric

GrkBoy
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, from what i gather my water is perfect, but for some reason, my babies are jumpy from time to time...

Thought maybe I was doing something wrong with my water prep.