PDA

View Full Version : Could my male actually be a female. What are your thoughts

chrissyoscar
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 11:34 PM
When my male Spotted Snakeskin was young the rear of his Dorsal and Anal fins where nice and pointy. He was the fastest growing and the most dominate discus out of a bunch of six. He was the first to pair of with a smaller Fineline Snakeskin. I've always assumed that the Spotted Snakeskin was the male and the fineline the female but I'm not so sure now.
The rear of his fins are now rounding off and are no longer as pointy as before which is a female trait.
They just had a batch of eggs which I covered using galvanised chicken wire which I've found out to be a big NO NO because some galvanised steel is poisonous.
So now the eggs didn't make it because either the galvanised steel poisoned them or the male didn't fertilize the eggs or worst of all it could be because I have two females.
I'll just have to wait for the next batch I'll cover them again and see what happens.
Almost forgot the Fineline Snakeskin is still quite small only about 9-10cm but this batch of eggs was huge at least 250-300 eggs. Because of her size I was amazed at the number of eggs but now I'm thinking maybe the male laid them which would mean he's a she :oops: .
Here's a pic what do you all think.

wyldchyld01
Sat Oct 16, 2004, 07:17 AM
it's a nice fish either way oscar, jealous...from the pick i'd go female but don't forget the pointed ovipositor (when they want to lay) will be your biggest hint if it's male he he he

cheers

Brenton