PDA

View Full Version : Egg eating behavior.

atti
Thu May 31, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hi, I need some advice please.

I have a pair of Discus that were constantly laying eggs in a community tank. Usually the eggs would be consumed after two days. However, once I had wrigglers that lasted about 12 hours.

So, three weeks ago. I transferred the pair to their own breeding tank. Two weeks ago, the female layed eggs and after two days. One of them ate them. Then yesterday, the female layed again. And now the eggs have been consumed again (after approx 24 hours). I suspect by the female (but I am not 100% sure.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on why this is happening?
And how can I discourage them from eating the eggs?

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:10 AM
you could try darkening out the sides and back of the tank to make them feel more secure, also did you consider netting the eggs to stop them from eating them? I've seen photo's of a few breeders who do this.

scott bowler
Sun Jun 03, 2007, 09:59 AM
hi atti well this is something that we all go though .nealy every one has a pair that eats eggs mate just dont give up on them .Are they a young pair do you know ? but if you like you can try to put a cage over the eggs next time as illusn has said well good luck with it if you need any help just ask hehe

atti
Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Scott,

They are about two years old. I won't give up on them. I will see what they do a few more times and then try the cage idea. Thanks for the reply. Atti

samir
Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:51 AM
I will see what they do a few more times and then try the cage idea.

just visualize them eating the eggs a few more times :P then cover the cone with gutter guard next time they spawn and pour 5ml of methylene blue over the cone.