PDA

View Full Version : FYI: No Beefheart

garikfox
Wed May 30, 2007, 03:13 PM
Your US Discus guy here again. 8-) :wink:

Studies has shown that Beefheart is NOT acceptable for Discus.

It contains to much fat. (Also you dont find discus eating cows hearts in the Amazon.) LoL :wink:

This is My opnion.

fish_r
Wed May 30, 2007, 03:27 PM
wow i better stop feeding it then, i will also stop doing water changes as u mentioned in one of ur previous post s hahaha...

garikfox
Wed May 30, 2007, 06:42 PM
If thats your tank in that pic I wouldnt do any water changes. :wink:

Do I hear some Aussie Sarcasm ? hehee :lol: :wink:

martraci
Wed May 30, 2007, 10:06 PM
we're not a sarcastic country, very serious indeed

Robdog
Wed May 30, 2007, 11:51 PM
Studies has shown that Beefheart is NOT acceptable for Discus.

This is My opnion.

Well your "studies" are wrong and so are your opinions.

fish_r
Thu May 31, 2007, 01:41 AM
If thats your tank in that pic I wouldnt do any water changes
u cant be serious :P :roll:

goldenpigeon
Thu May 31, 2007, 02:27 AM
I 'my oppinion', your studies are totally wrong.

Did the results come out of Malaysia, seeing that is where the worlds best discus come from...

Thing is the Malaysian breeders use heart meat....

You don't find wild dogs eating Pal do you?

martraci
Thu May 31, 2007, 04:37 AM
i hear pal isnt good for dogs either, you should be feeding them grass & wild uncooked rabbits (preferably alive); although my puppy has trouble tearing the flesh off the bunnies coes hes so little himself
you dont find ppl eating macca's in the wild either =/
cheers to adaptations!

Merrilyn
Thu May 31, 2007, 05:41 AM
Can't argue with your logic. Very few cattle fall into the amazon river to be consumed by discus, but they do require a high protein diet, both in the wild and in our tanks.

In the wild, cute little cardinal tetras provide a ready form of protein for any fish big enough to eat them, (they swarm in their millions) along with mozzie lavae, insects and fresh water shrimps.

Whilst I love my discus, I refuse to feed them a steady diet of cardinals, much as they would love it so I look for a readily available protein source that my fish will find acceptable.

I agree that fish can't digest animal fat, that why I choose beefheart. It is one of the leanest organs in the body, and all visible fat is removed before I mince it . Chicken heart or turkey heart would do just as well.

It should never be fed alone. Beefheart should form part of a well balanced diet of fresh and dry foods, including vegetables, good quality prepared foods and frozen foods.

You can do a little experiment to assess just how much fat is in properly prepared beefheart. Go to your butcher and buy a portion of beefheart (not minced) remove all visible fat and arteries (the white stuff) then put the rest of it in a pot and boil it on the stove for at least fifteen minutes.

Any fat in the meat will rise to the surface and form a shiny slick on the surface. As the water cools, the fat will solidify and form a white layer on the top of the water. You'll be surprised just how little fat is actually left in properly prepared beefheart.

That's why we use it.

And that's MY opinion.

Roy
Thu May 31, 2007, 06:01 AM
I like peoples opinions :D
Agree with Mez.

Roy