PDA

View Full Version : Daphnia

scuba123cliff
Sun May 27, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hi guys been thinking about starting a daphina pond and im wondering if any one can tell me were to get a starter culture from.If any one has had succsess with raising them if they can pass on any informaton on the best way.
thanks
Cliff

fishgeek
Sun May 27, 2007, 02:35 PM
harder water and larger surface area tend to favour faster growth of caphnia culture

not sure about australia though many lfs in england sell live daphnia as food i use this to start a culture once going, even out side in england they will dissappear and reappear in warmer wether

lots of sun on water leads to good algae blooms and lots of food for daphni

i dot feed my cultures

andrew

scuba123cliff
Tue May 29, 2007, 08:07 AM
So i take from the lack of comment that none of the fish keepers here have had anything to do with live daphnia.I thought some one would be able to give some advice ok i will have a go myself wish me luck.
Cliff

ILLUSN
Tue May 29, 2007, 08:34 AM
Hi cliff, tried to grow it in sydney but failed miserably, a few LFS near me sell starter cultuers, and i think tony on the forum GELF might have some, he grows somw excellent live foods.

Baro
Tue Oct 30, 2007, 07:31 AM
My LFS doesn't sell Daphnia. Any ideas where I can get some in Sydney? I got a nice green pond, ready for them. I have even tried looking in the local duck ponds, but no sign of them. Cliff what is GELF and/or details of your LFS.

Cheers,

Paul.

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 30, 2007, 08:05 AM
GELF is a member of this forum (his name is tony), you can send him a PM.

as for starters, as your LFS what live foods they stock and if they can get in daphnia for you