PDA

View Full Version : Discus has white "stuff" on her eyes

Rodrigues
Thu May 24, 2007, 01:11 AM
Here's the history:
2 weeks ago, she started laying eggs. Babies hatched. At first all the wigglers hanging around her, but not the dad. But couple of days ago, her left eye started to have some white film, mucus like stuff growing on her eye. Then all the fry started to prefer the dad. Dad also begin to be come aggressive and poor mum hide at the top corner as far away from dad as possible and now both her eyes also have this white stuff.

Should we take her out from the breeding tank or should we take the dad out?

Should we put her back to the community tank with the other 12 discus and fishes?

What would be a safe medication for both her and the fry?

Appreciate anyone who could give us some advise what to do. Thanks!

Merrilyn
Fri May 25, 2007, 01:50 AM
That looks fairly severe Rodrigues.

Take her out of the breeding tank, but isolate her in a hospital tank if you can. She shouldn't go back into the community tank at this stage.

Leave the fry with dad, he will be well able to look aafter them on his own.

Mum should be treated with salt to begin with. Use two heap teaspoons of plain salt (not table salt) per 40 litres of water and leave for three days without doing water changes. If there is no improvement, you may need to resort to antibiotics, but try the salt treatment first.

Check your water parameters. If the pH in the breeding tank has dropped below 6 that could be the cause of the cloudy eyes. Slowly bring it up to at least 6.5.

Rodrigues
Fri May 25, 2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks Merrilyn for your advise.

Is this fungus or bacteria?

is it because of the slime it produces when breeding?

Babies now eating bbs and hanging out with dad. No major drama yet.

Merrilyn
Fri May 25, 2007, 01:04 PM
I honestly don't know. Never seen it quite like that before. It's definately not normal on parents feeding fry.

I'm hoping the salt will sort things out.

Keep us posted.

samir
Fri May 25, 2007, 01:26 PM
looks like fungus ?? probably bad water conditions during the spawn with the additional stress of fry. was the male aggressive towards it ???
you need to be changing a lot of water, you have to nip these things in the bud and not let them advance to this stage.
if the salt dont work try Waterlife Myxazin and daily water changes.

Ace1024
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 01:27 AM
i've got a similair situation, and have just put some myxazin in the hospital tank.

Besides the daily water changes, am i to feed also?

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 05:20 AM
Yes, feed the fish in the hospital tank, but try to keep the water as clean as possible.

Ace is your fish as badly affected as the one in the pic?

Ace1024
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 01:09 PM
not so much the eyes, but the body yes.