PDA

View Full Version : Discus eating? Maybe not

eddi
Wed May 23, 2007, 08:03 PM
Hi all, I am new to ths site but not to discus. I have branched off to SW, but have decided to return to my roots.

I have set up a 29 gallon tank with 6 small, 2-2.5 inch discus (yes, I know that's overcrwoding; I am in the process of letting them pair off to move them to their own tanks). They are establishing their territory and picking order and are eating well. Or so I thought. When I feed them they all jump on the food, but lately I have noticed that they seem to be only tasting it. They put it in their mouths, chew it for a few seconds and then spit it out. I am mainly feeding beefheart, with enriched frozen shrimps and flake food. They seem to repeat the same pattern with all foods.

What does this behavior indicate?

Thanks,
Eddi

sammigold
Thu May 24, 2007, 12:20 AM
possible gill flukes, but I would be looking for other symptoms as well before jumping to any conclusions.

Can you tell if their are stools at the bottom of the tank. That would indicate whether they are actually eating or not.

also if you have only had them for a short while they may be just settling in. I had a new discus do that for about a week and a half before she started eating properly.

I would be inclined to observe for a while longer maybe add some salt (cooking or rock) at a rate of 1 teaspoon per 40 litres which may help to relax them and maybe try some live brine shrimp to encourage them to eat more.

hth