PDA

View Full Version : How long do discus live?

Chris McMahon
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 05:53 AM
I'm thinking of buying some older adult discus (around 4-5yo) and was wondering how long, on average, discus live. I've goggled a few places and some reports say 8 years, others 10, and one case said 14.

I'm after an average, so if I asked "how long do humans live?" I'd expect answers around 75, rather than 120. ie What the average discus lives to, rather than extreme one-off cases.

I'd also be interested to know how old your oldest discus is.

Thanks.

flukes
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 04:19 PM
Intresting poll, nice one Chris!

Chris McMahon
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 07:44 AM
Intresting poll, nice one Chris!Thanks Flukes. Any chance of a sticky? I'd like to get a few more results.

DiscusMan
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 04:13 AM
I asked this question to our knowledgable discus breeders from penang who have just all left today.

The answer is that the life of the fish all things begin equal is reliant upon the amount of breeding that it is used for .during its life.

A heavily bred fish is expected to live for 7 years and a non breeding fish for 10 years

Wayne
ADA Webmaster

Majesticaquatic
Sun Jan 16, 2005, 06:08 PM
I believe that the question may be a bit difficult to answere without consideration of if we are discussing Wild or tank bred specimens..
I personally believe that the numbers stated are for Tank raised varieties (speaking on average)...
The Shedd Aquarium in "Chi Town" (Chicago) had several specimens of wild Discus that were over 14 yeaqrs old, this was in early 70s. I saw these and many exceeded 9inches and I would guess close to 5lbs+.

Proteus
Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:08 AM
ShinShin post removed.

We do not allow flame posts on this website

This may be allowable elsewhere, but not here.

If you disagree with someones opinion, keep it civil or dont say anything at all.

lesxda
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks chris for this question

As new to this great passtime of discus keeping, I can not say how long my fish have lived but at last count I have not lost one yet.

I have a older male greater than 6 yr.

my further question is what age is it said to be too old for female to bred
and also for the male

or is this a problem or do they breed all there life up to the very end.
they are great fish with a very gentle nature.

les

Merrilyn
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:41 AM
Les, from my own experience, the most productive breeding age seems to be between 2 and 4 years.

They can breed as early as 10 - 12 months and as late as 5 - 6 years, but they have fewer spawns and less fry in each.

jim from sydney
Thu May 19, 2005, 01:17 AM
Lesxda.......where in the west are you, close to Epping?????Jim

lesxda
Thu May 19, 2005, 02:37 AM
jim I am from Bossley Park